Please note that this blog has now been retired, hopefully permanently, and future posts, starting with a report on the 4-0 win at Welling, will be found at Addick's Championship Diary.
Go to: Championship Diary
Tony Jimenez has substantially increased his share in CAFC Holdings Ltd, the company which owns Charlton Athletic. Jimenez previously held a 28 per cent stake in the company, but the Charlton website was updated this morning and his share has now increased to 47.6 per cent.
CAFC Holdings Ltd owns 90 per cent of Baton 2010 Ltd – the company which owns Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd – with former Addicks owner Richard Murray owning the remaining 10 percent.
Current chairman Michael Slater retains a 23 percent interest in CAFC Holdings Ltd, meaning Jimenez has strengthened his position by buying the shares of unnamed minority shareholders.
Today’s news follows recent speculation by Addicks fans concerned at what has been going on behind the scenes at the club over the summer following the departures of Peter Varney as executive vice chairman and Alex Newall as a director.
A spokesman for Charlton Athletic told News Shopper this lunchtime there would be no further comment on today’s confirmation Jimenez is now the single biggest shareholder or to any other questions about the club’s finances.
The Addicks have signed 22-year old striker Jordan Cook on a two year contract following his release from Sunderland. He can play through the centre and out wide: Cook
It was while Cook was on loan at Walsall that he first attracted the attention of Chris Powell. This positive impression was reinforced during a loan spell at Carlisle last season when he scored four goals.
More about him here: New signing
The Addicks are closing a deal on one time youth player Lawrie Wilson who is being signed for around half a million from Stevenage. He can play at right back or in midfield: Wilson
The news has done little to overcome the gloom prevailing in some quarters with a meeting being called to form a supporters' trust, although I thought one would have been formed before. I am also uncertain how it could tackle a problem that is ill-defined in the first place.
Michael Slater has said: 'I've heard about some gossip about the club, but for the last year and a half we have consistently said that we will operate the club on sound commercial principles, and I believe last season's success vindicates our approach.'
'Last summer Chris signed players to create a team that we believed would be able to compete in the Championship, so although he is looking to bring in a few new players, there is nothing like the urgency of last summer and we will not be rushed into decisions.'
'We are not inactive in the transfer market, but the fact is that in League One we were a big fish in a small pond whereas in the Championship there are plenty of other big clubs vying for the players we are trying to sign'.
All this seems very sensible to me, but the usual pessimists have come out to say that if we do not splash the cash soon will be relegated. We have been beaten to some targets, but we don't want to pay over the odds.
Just to draw your attention to a significant post from the Chicago Addick (such is the modern electronic era that the news breaks from Bermuda): Slater
Apparently Slater is to say something about rumours of a boardroom split in Pravda tomorrow. It's about time something was said as these rumours have acquired a life of their own. My view is that a relatively minor disagreement has been exaggerated several times over as the rumour mill got going.
Former Charlton goalkeeper Rob Elliot admits that he did not hit it off with Super Alan Pardew when they first met, but now he is trying to impress him at Newcastle: Elliot
Was it a good move for Elliot? Only time will tell.
Central defender Yado Mamo and midfielder Rueben Bover Izquierdo have signed new one year deals at Charlton, presumably as cover and in the hope that they might continue to develop as players: Contracts
With the transfer window only just open we will need to wait for significant new signings. Pessimism and gloom seems to be setting on the back of little more than rumour and speculation.
There are unconfirmed rumours that Dubai-based Zabeel Investments have renewed their interest in Charlton. The story goes that they may make a second bid for the club (following the one which provoked such excitement some years ago) in May but this was turned down, leading to a boardroom split. They will make one last attempt this month.
I have to emphasise that this is simply rumour, one of many circulating recently. I have no independent verification of this story.