Saturday 27 August 2022


The Wycombe centre half, charm merchant Scowen, got an early yellow card for bringing down Clare.    The Chairboys won the first corner of the afternoon.

The first Charlton corner led to a shot that was not too far wide, Rak-Sakyi rippling the side netting, but then Wycombe won another corner.  The ball was punched away.  McCleary found space and squared for Mehmeti who scored the opening goal on 13 minutes but within two minutes it was 1-1 through Rak-Sakyi.

Wollacott made two big saves, first from Wing and then from McCleary.   He then made another stop at his near post.

A McCleary volley was headed clear by Inniss at the expense of a corner.  

It looked as if Ben Garner was booked again.  Charlton were struggling to get out of their half and exert pressure higher up the pitch.  Sean Clare was booked for expressing his displeasure at the referee's performance.

O'Connell made a big block as Wycombe pressed.    Rak-Sakyi was booked for preventing a quick throw in.

Kirk put in a deep cross, but Stockley headed over.

The referee added to his collection of yellow cards by giving one to Wing.  Mawson was the booked for Wycombe.   Kirk went down, but was able to continue.

In time added on, Morgan was hauled down just outside the area and Gape was booked.  Charlton applied some pressure, but Clare shot wide.

Critique from the pundits

Curbs thought that Wycombe had caused more problems than us in the first half.  It was noted that Wycombe had had ten shots to four despite Charlton having 62 per cent possession.   Steve Brown said that we tended to have slow build ups, we weren't getting in the final third enough.  For the Wycombe goal, there was no organisation and communication.  Curbs said everyone was looking at the ball and no one was looking at the man.  Stockley had been isolated again, he had hardly had a touch.  Steve Brown said that Stockley was up against two centre halves every time, he felt a bit sorry for him.  Curbs asked where the goals were going to come from.  Steve Brown said that Wycombe do what they do very, very well.

HT: 1-1

An early Stockley header was wide of the post but offside anyway.  Charlton made a lively start, following on from the last five minutes of the first half.

Wollacott tipped over a Mehmeti strike.  The corner ended in a Charlton free kick.

Wheels picked up a knock so Freeman replaced him.  

A shot by Fraser after good work by Rak-Sakyi looped off a defender and was claimed by the keeper.

Inniss went down hurt and Lavelle was ready to come on but Inniss continued.  Inniss went down again and was replaced by Lavelle.  Wycombe made a double substitution.

Morgan was replaced by Payne on 78 minutes.  Wycombe made another substitution.  

Dobson put in a great tackle, one of many in the game.   At 86 minutes Kirk came off and Leaburn came on.  Clare made a great block from McCleary's shot.

McCleary got the first booking of the second half for kicking the ball away.

Six minutes were added on, a chorus of Valley Floyd Road broke out from the 1638 Charlton fans in attendance of 6,139.  Leaburn was cautioned for a pull back.  

Charlton have slipped back to 8th.   Possession was 61 per cent, but 16 to nine shots in Wycombe's favour.   Steve Brown said that you needed ten on target to win a game in League One.

The pundits

Curbs said that a better performance would have got us three points, it was still early days but he couldn't see enough goals at the moment.  Stockley seemed so isolated.  We never fed the ball into his feet.  Steve Brown thought there was a real drop off in fitness levels in the last 20 minutes.  Curbs said for the goal we had four or five players in a line not doing anything.   Steve Brown said there was a lack of leadership in terms of communication.

Steve Brown said the Charlton goal was a good one, the finishing into the roof of the net was very good.   We didn't test the keeper anywhere near enough.  

Curbs thought it was an opportunity lost.   Steve Brown said we did deal well with the set pieces second half.   Curbs said we needed another player up front.   Steve Brown said the squad was not just deep enough.  'We do try to play football.'

Ben Garner

'Very hard fought, it was a good game, they are very good at what they do.  We had to dig in.'  He felt that Charlton deserved a clear payment 'but we don't get those decisions.  We were the side pushing to win it. We were much better with the ball second half.  It's a really tough place to come, pleased with a point, it wasn't a point where we were hanging on.   I thought second half we had some brilliant positions, it was just our decision on which pass to play.   As the seaxon progresses, I expect him to become a lot more clinical.  Ryan is being assessed at the moment.  There's one or two areas we'd like to strengthen, it's going to be down to availability.   Hopefully we can finish this window strongly.'

More comments from Ben Garner criticising the referee here:

He also talks about turning possession into chances:

No comments:

Post a Comment