Friday 22 September 2023

The problem of distance

I find it increasingly difficult to say anything useful about the team, indeed I have had some difficulty in identifying the latest recruits to the first team, let alone evaluating them.

Anyway, I have seen another consultant who has prescribed a new operation, one justification being that my normal life 'involves some travel to London'.  Helpfully, she referred to my role as a part-time commissioning editor for a publisher which in fact just involves two or three meetings in London a year.

I still know what a South-East London accent sounds like though.  I was shocked when the director of a local art gallery referred to 'Gren-wich' in a speech.   To me my birthplace has always been 'Grin-idge' and a Facebook storm I provoked on Plumstead People confirmed that the overwhelming majority agreed.   It's never been the same since Liz Truss moved in.

So what about tomorrow's game?   I put it down as a 2-1 win the Badger prediction league.  The Chairboys are currently 8th in the table and 3rd in the form table.  Charlton are fourth from bottom in the form table.    Away from home, the visitors have lost one and won two.

In the Four Four Two season preview the selected fan refers to how strange it seems to be starting a season without Gareth Ainsworth and forecasts a 15th place finish.

The magazine is more upbeat in its verdict: 'A season of transition?  Perhaps - new boss Bloomfield has a different style to Ainsworth, which will take time to implement.  Nevertheless, the Chairboys will think they can push for the play offs again if they add wisely to a strong core.  They certainly have the know-how.'

The CASC preview does its best to encourage fans to attend: https://www.castrust.org/2023/09/why-come-to-wycombe-on-saturday/

No comments:

Post a Comment