Thursday 6 September 2018

Charlton stalwart passes away

I am very saddened to report the death of Vernon Roper, secretary of the West Sussex branch of Charlton Athletic Supporters Club. CASC no longer exists as such, but a small group of devoted Addicks with Vernon to the forefront kept the West Sussex group going. In particular, Vernon was involved in the 'Badger League' fantasy football competition based on Charlton results.

I am a member of the West Sussex branch because in Premier League days I and my late wife would pick up their minibus heading north for away games. Pitch announcer Brian Cole was often at the wheel or on the bus, as was Vernon.

Brian Cole has stated, 'Vern was the man that kept the branch running and arranged so much for Charlton fans living in his part of Sussex. Tickets, travel events and player meetings were all arranged by Vern. He was a founder member and I am going to miss a good friend.'

VOTV editor Rick Everitt has tweeted, 'Lovely man who did a huge amount for other fans and was always ready to help.'

A fan has tweeted, 'Vernon was a great help and support to me in the days when the supporters club branches thrived. Always had time for a chat when I saw him on match days.'

No comments:

Post a Comment