Sunday 16 September 2018

More critical publicity for Roland

Der Spiegel is Germany's leading news magazine. It has published a long story on the theme of 'Duchatelet Destroys Charlton': Belgier spart englischen Drittligisten kaputt

I once had a reasonable command of German given that I lived and worked there in Berlin (and apparently acquired the accent of someone living in a small town in the former East Germany: there may be reasons for that). Unfortunately, I have largely lost my facility with the language and it would take me too long to translate (online automated translations are often poor in my experience). I love the heading on 'kein Frühstück für die jungen Spieler.'

The Football League Paper also has an editorial and a back page story on Friday's protests. Some have derided them because of the small turnout but the point was to attract media attention.

Does media attention affect Roland? Whatever he says, I think it may do, particularly if it is in Belgium or a leading German publication. He sees himself as a visionary and this kind of publicity undermines that. I will write at greater length on this and why I think Belgium is a northern version of Italy.

The latest in depth treatment to appear is from Paddy Power: Paddy Investigates Charlton

No comments:

Post a Comment