Saturday 24 April 2021

Unbeaten run comes to an end

Peterborough secured a 1-0 victory at The Valley this afternoon with an early goal, bringing Charlton's unbeaten run to an end.  Charlton had a chance to equalise with a Stockley penalty, but it was saved by Bursik.   

Charlton are now 8th, two points behind Blackpool are on 6th.   Three teams are on 68 points from 5th to 7th.

Charlton could have done better in the final third and in terms of crosses. 

Curbs thought we deserved to get back into the game, but the first fifteen minutes was decisive.  Peterborough got the initiative and we were chasing the game. Both sets of players realised how big a game it was.  Peterborough are a very confident side and took the game to us.

Alex Dyer said Charlton had a good period in the second half, but did not come near a goal.  We didn't have a cutting edge.   They weren't aggressive enough in their play in the first half. Charlton defended quite well, apart from a lapse in the first half.

Curbs said we got in some good positions, but there were no clear cut chances.  We couldn't find that final decent ball. We fizzled out in the final third. Stockley was outgunned.   They nullified our main threat, although they had problems with Millar.

Charlton have conceded the first goal 11 times at home this season.  As Curbs noted, the reason we aren't where Peterborough are is because of our home form.  We've rarely got in front and started asking the other team questions.

Nigel Adkins said that losing DJ to a hamstring injury was a concern.  We were still in the race, but couldn't afford to lose any more games.  He was very disappointed by the goal we conceded, we probably gifted them a goal.

Match report

Peterborough started with a high tempo.   On eight minutes Clarke-Harris scored from the 'D' after a long pass.  It was a good strike and left Amos with no chance,.

Ward was penetrating down the right.  Matthews made a good challenge in front of goal, enabling Amos to make the save.

A shot was pushed wide by Amos after Inniss was caught flat footed.   I don't think he had a great game. He was well taken care of by Beavers when going forward.

Peterborough continued to press with pace and Steve Brown observed that the problem was the quality of the opponents.   On 23 minutes DJ had to be replaced by Albie Morgan.  As the half hour approached, the visitors had had eight attempts on goal to none from us.

On 30 minutes Gilbey was brought down by Kent and referee Keith Stroud awarded the penalty.  Stockley struck the penalty well but it was a good height for the keeper who dived to his right to make the save.

Thompson had been giving Millar a torrid time, but went too far and picked up a yellow card.

Steve Brown said that our crosses were a bit wayward and the final product was lacking.   Curbs said it had been a slow start by Charlton, Peterborough had been a yard sharper at the start.   The quality of the service to Stockley was questionable.

HT: 0-1

Charlton played better in the second half, in part because Millar was less constrained by Thompson who eventually had to be substituted.

Gilbey got a yellow card for a challenge on Dembele.   Gilbey made a great run, but his effort was saved.

Millar went for the goal when he should have passed the ball.  Charlton were in the ascendancy in terms of possession.

Szomdics put the ball over the bar.   Stockley couldn't connect with a good ball from Morgan.

On 76 minutes Gilbey was replaced by Aneke.   This could have happened earlier, but Nigel Adkins said he was concerned about his fitness.

A Forster-Caskey shot was deflected just wide, then a Millar attempt was deflected.

Morgan had to be taken off on 83 minute to bring on Washington who made little impression.  Famewo replaced Inniss.  Apparently he had to be replaced:

Peterborough were running down the clock with some skill, but Szomdics still managed to hit the post in time added on.

No comments:

Post a Comment