Saturday, 24 March 2012

Charlton pay the penalty

Recalled on form striker Paul Hayes went straight into the team at Huddersfield in place of the ill Kermorgant reports Paul May.   Cort stayed in central defence in place of Taylor on the bench and Russell retained his midfield role with Stephens on the bench.   Cook was on the bench for the first time.

Charlton started brightly with Wagstaff featuring.   However, Morrison was unable to connect with two long throws from Hollands.  Wagstaff got in a cross, but should have had a free kick as his heels were clipped.

Huddersfield applied some pressure, but Wagstaff did well as some hazy sunshine appeared after a cloudy day ‘Oop North.   Hollands put in a good delivery on the angle but Morrison’s header went wide.

Hamer made a fantastic one handed save from a Rhodes header.   A foul on Russell led to a Charlton free kick.  Wiggins aimed at Cort, but Huddersfield counter attacked.   Russell was tricked into a foul on Roberts and Huddersfield were given a penalty.   Rhodes sent Hamer the wrong way and put the ball into the corner of the net to take Huddersfield’s post-war scoring record for a season and the home side 1-0 ahead on 13 minutes.

Wiggins had no option but to put the ball behind for a corner.    S Morrison had a free header, but Rhodes put it just round the post.

Bradley Wright-Phillips won a corner for Charlton.   Morrison’s header went over the crossbar. 

Wagstaff’s cross went between Hayes and Wright-Phillips as the halfway point of the half approached.

Wiggins beat two defenders and won a corner for the Addicks, but it was unproductive.   The momentum in the game was shifting back to Charlton with Hayes and Wright-Phillips developing their partnership. 

A great run by Solly led to a Charlton corner, but the ball was headed over the crossbar for a goal kick.   Wagstaff was fouled but Kay went to ground with a bang to the head.   Both players received treatment.   The referee called across the two captains to calm things down with the Charlton players furious about the late tackle and Hamer was given a lecture.  No one was cautioned and the Yorkshire referee gave a dropped ball.   Chris Powell threw a slice of orange away in frustration and complained at some length to the fourth official.

Rhoys Wiggins did well to win a corner for Charlton.   A Hollands throw in led to another Addicks corner, but it was unproductive.

A Huddersfield shot went over the crossbar.    Wiggins defended well as Huddersfield threatened to break.     The game went a bit flat.

Bradley Wright-Phillips got in between two defenders but overran it a bit.   Charlton kept up the pressure in the two minutes added on, then Novak broke, but Wiggins intercepted well.

Half time: Terriers 1, Addicks 0

Charlton were playing towards the 1,118 Addickted in the second half.   Russell could have gone for goal himself but played in Wagstaff whose touch was too heavy and then Hollands let fly but shot wide.

N’Guessan dealt well with Novak.   Rhodes got a shot away but it was straight at Hamer.     It was a seesaw start to the second half.

Solly stood up well as Huddersfield attacked.    Russell was the victim of a very late challenge, but he kicked out at Kay on the floor.   Russell got the straight red.   Kay got a yellow card.   It should really have been his second yellow.   Novak was booked as well.

N’Guessan was taken off and replaced by Stephens at the hour mark.   Cort got in a header but Smithies turned it over the crossbar.    Huddersfield countered from the corner.

Charlton continued to play patiently but could not get a shot on goal.  Huddersfield made a double change with Gudjonsoon and Lee coming on.

An effort from Solly was deflected for a corner.   The first touch by Hayes was poor. 

Huddersfield had a spell of possession and won a free kick 25 yards out in a central position.   The free kick from Gudjonsoon took a deflection off Solly for a corner.   It went out for another corner off Stephens.   The ball went straight out for a goal kick.

Wagstaff got away from Peter Clarke superbly and put in a cross but Hayes couldn’t connect.   Lee won a corner for Huddersfield.       Hayes was replaced by Pritchard.

Charlton were being penned back in their own half.   Stephens took out Arismendi but didn’t get a yellow card.

Huddersfield got a free kick in the Charlton half which gave an opportunity for more time wasting.

Solly took the ball off Novak after a foul was not spotted by the referee.  Wiggins won a free kick off the Uruguyan Arismendi.    Morrison headed the ball back but Cort headed over.   Charlton thought they should have had a corner.

Four minutes were added on.    Huddersfield made their final change with Arismendi going off as slowly as the River Plate.   Huddersfield won a corner.   The corner was taken short.   Huddersfield were given a soft free kick.    The home fans whistled frantically.  

No comments:

Post a Comment