Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Frustration in Burslem

Charlton drew 1-1 at Port Vale tonight. After an impressive first half, they sat back in the second as they tried to defend their 1-0 lead, but Vale won a late penalty.

Johnnie Jackson came into the Charlton side at Vale Park this evening with Novak dropping to the bench. Pearce missed out with a groin niggle and Lennon replaced him.

Ulvestad tried his luck from distance on 7 minutes, but Smith put in a good block. Rudd had to deal with a dangerous cross and Fox had to clear it for a Vale corner. Lennon got his head on the ball and Charlton then won a free kick.

A good move on the right side involving Holmes, he put in a low cross which went across the face of goal, but he couldn’t find a purple shirt. Magennis put in a scuffed shot that went wide from the edge of the box.

Lookman tried to turn provider for Jackson, but the skipper fired over.

Holmes failed to bury a Fox cross from two yards out. Almwick saved it point blank before Vale got rid of the ball. The Addicks kept up the pressure and Magennis hit the crossbar with a header after a great cross by Holmes.

Great play from Ricky Holmes on the right hand side and a flick from Ulvestad went through the legs of Alnwick made it 1-0 to the Addicks with his first goal for the club.

Holmes ran half the length of the pitch, his cross was headed behind for a corner. Bauer headed just wide from the corner which was well taken by Lookman.

Jackson curled wide from the edge of the box on 41 minutes after Magennis had flicked the ball into his path.

It was a dominant first half display by Charlton that deserved a bigger lead. Of the attendance of 3,494, 253 were Addicks.

HT: Valiants 0, Addicks 1

A Lookman free kick was parried by Alnwick into the path of Ulvestad, but he missed. Holmes was harshly booked for a foul on Tavares who had rolled around dramatically The Addickted broke into a chant of, ‘We are the pride of all London.’

A Vale corner was headed clear by Lennon who went down with a head injury.

Vale had a spell of pressure on 60 minutes and won a corner. Holmes cleared. A good move down the right saw Charlton win a corner. Vale cleared and counter attacked, but Bauer sprinted and put in a good tackle.

Lennon put the ball behind for a Vale corner, but Fox headed it away. Port Vale brought on their big No.9, Rigino Cicilia, as they sought to apply more pressure. A Charlton corner flicked off a Vale head and was just out of reach for Bauer to turn home.

On 70 minutes Lookman was replaced by Hanlan.

A cross from Holmes was met by Ulvestad, but Alnwick made the save from the header

Holmes put in a free kick, but Smith headed it out for a corner. Jackson’s header went wide.

Charlton won a free kick on the edge of the box on 80 minutes. Solly went down as he burst into the area. Tavares got a yellow card. The free kick from Holmes was cleared.

Chicksen and Novak replaced Holmes and Magennis on 82 minutes. Port Vale won a penalty against Lennon for tripping Jones after a clearance from Fox put him in trouble. Rudd got a hand to it, but it went into the roof of the net to make it 1-1. ‘Glad All Over’ broke out over the tannoy.

Hanlan broke through, but his shot went over the bar. Rudd dropped a cross, but was able to recover.

Five minutes were added on. Charlton forced a late corner, but it was cleared away. Ulvestad put a shot wide from 20 yards. Some of the Addickted start to sing, ‘Russell Slade, he ain’t got a clue.’


1 comment:

  1. I blame morgan fox his performances are getting more and more suspect if we drop him and play the lad from brighton we got in the summer then we should start winning games what does slade see in fox god only knows and its baddling they turned down two bids of 2m for him last window why ffs