Saturday 22 April 2023

Shrimps net Charlton

A fellow fan messaged me beforehand to say that this was surely a three point banker, but Morecambe won 3-2 at The Valley just as they did last year.

Aaron Henry replaced Scott Fraser in the Charlton team against Morecambe this afternoon.

Morecambe took the lead after seven minutes following a mistake by Aaron Henry through a powerful and accurate strike by Stockton which went into the top corner.   Charlton had not won this season after conceding the first goal.

Dobson had to make a saving tackle to deny a threat which would have led to a second for Morecambe.

Steve Brown criticised the Charlton performance as loose and slack.   There was a lack of tempo.

Charlton won a corner after an unforced error from a cross by Payne.  The ball flashed across the goal.

Hector conceded a free kick just outside the penalty area.   The ball went straight into the wall.

Leaburn received a yellow card after an incident with Souare who fell to the ground.

Steve Brown noted that Albie Morgan in an attacking midfield role was struggling to get into the game.  He was being man marked.

A Henry corner was easily gathered by Ripley.   Stockton tried to lift the ball over Maynard-Brewer, but did not succeed.

With three minutes added on, Charlton equalised.   Sessegnon put in good work, crossed to Payne and the ball came off Rak-Sakyi's knee.

Louis Mendez commented: 'We've been treated to some poor displays this season but that first-half, other than the very end, must be right down there.'

Steve Brown said that the one thing that stuck out for him was tempo, we were so slow.  Curbs thought that Morecambe had done a real good job on us.   'I've been saying this for some time, I don't think there are enough leaders out there.'  It took us a long time to get over the goal.  

HT: Addicks 1, Shrimps 1

Charlton won an early corner.   Payne took the corner, but Leaburn's header went over.

Souare had kept Rak-Sakyi in check, but had to be replaced because of an apparent hamstring.  

Morecambe took the lead again after Stockton slid in after the cross came in.  The defending was poor.  Charlton were aggrieved that they did not get a free kick for a foul on the halfway line. 

Charlton made a double substitution.   Payne was replaced by Campbell.   Fraser came on for Henry.

Dobson won a corner.  Fraser's corner was headed away.  Ripley gathered a cross from Campbell.

Maynard-Brewer got a hand to a shot from Stockton, but Weir scored on 63 minutes.   Charlton thought there had been a handball on halfway and let Morecambe players run.   Steve Brown said that naivety was the kindest way he could put it.   There was no resilience, no desire to defend the penalty area.

Sessegnon made way for Kanu.   Steve Brown thought that Leaburn looked leggy and tired. 

Fraser collected the ball, turned instantly and put the ball past Ripley to make it 2-3.

Rak-Sakyi's effort was deflected wide for a corner taken by Morgan.   The ball was cleared off the line by Stockton.  The move ended in a handball.

Campbell put in a great cross, but Kanu's effort was deflected.   The corner was unproductive.

Six minutes were added on.  Charlton won a free kick near the corner flag, but everybody was stationary.

It was Morecambe's first away win in 20 games.

Curbs said it just wasn't good enough.  Dale Stephens said we had conceded really sloppy poor goals.

Dean Holden says we cannot lose to the likes of Morecambe if we are going to challenge next season:

Louis Mendez is unsparing in his criticism of the Addicks in his four takeaways from the game and what he has to say hits the nail on the head.   This is a side lacking character:

Not been a good football weekend, as my non-league side was relegated from the National League North.  

No comments:

Post a Comment