Saturday 6 January 2024

A familiar story as Charlton fail to hold on to lead

Charlton failed to hold on to a lead three times at Port Vale yesterday and was once again conceded a late goal.

Port Vale and Charlton remain separated only by goal difference in the League One table after playing out a 3-3 draw at Vale Park.

Charlton led on three occasions, through Corey Blackett-Taylor, Daniel Kanu and Tyreece Campbell, but Ethan Chislett's successfully converted penalty and goals from Uche Ikpeazu and Gavin Massey earned Vale a point.

Chances were at a premium in the early stages and Charlton took the lead out of nowhere in the 27th minute when Blackett-Taylor slotted home after latching onto Louie Watson's header back into the box from a cleared corner.

Vale were level just before half-time, though, as Chislett sent Ashley Maynard-Brewer the wrong way from the penalty spot after Massey's attempted cross hit Karoy Anderson's arm in the area.  Some Addicks thought that the penalty award was harsh, but handballs are given these days when a player does nothing.

The visitors started the second half brightly and their pressure told shortly before the hour mark, with Kanu capitalising on some poor defending to poke the ball into the net after a one-two with Tayo Edun.  Four minutes later, the Valiants equalised for a second time thanks to Ikpeazu's header from captain Nathan Smith's cross.

The Addicks went ahead again in the 83rd minute courtesy of Campbell's first-time shot from substitute Terell Thomas' cross-cum-shot.

But they could not hold on for victory as Massey's fantastic curling effort from the edge of the area secured Vale a share of the spoils in the second minute of stoppage time.

VOTV website editor Rick Everitt comments: 'The 3-3 draw at Port Vale means Charlton have failed to win more than once in ten consecutive third tier matches for only the second time since WW2 (14 campaigns). The previous time was under Chris Powell in Feb/Mar 2011.'

Elsewhere 'Gobby' (Karl Robinson) has been appointed manager at Salford City in the hope that he can talk them out of relegation. However, he was too talkative as he was sent off in the 14th minute of his first home game. Also sent off was Ryan Inniss, now on a vegan diet with Forest Green Rovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment