Saturday, 14 April 2012

The Reds Are Going Up

Charlton repeated history as they were promoted at Carlisle, the Massives having drawn at Colchester.   Paul May is among the Addickted celebrating and here is his report brought to you via Tokyo:

The 930 Addickted were in good voice as an unchanged Charlton came on to the pitch at Brunton Park, reports Paul May.  Carlisle won an early corner.  It was cleared and the ball was forced back to the orange clad Carlisle keeper. 

Wiggins put in a cross after a great goal kick by Hamer.   N’Guessan’s shot led to a corner.  The ball was cleared off the line from a header by Morrison at the near post.    A header from Cort was saved as news came through that the Massives had gone behind at Colchester.

The game went through a quiet phase.    Charlton didn’t clear their lines, but Noble’s effort from 25 yards out was poor.   Jackson was alert after Carlisle threatened.    Jackson advanced and put a great ball in, but N’Guessan’s effort went over the top from six yards out.

Solly crossed, but Wright-Phillips couldn’t bring the ball down.   The ball wouldn’t fall for Jackson and he couldn’t get a shot away.   Cort delivered a powerful header to deal with a Carlisle counter attack.  Pritchard read Carlisle’s intentions well.

Cook had a chance after the busy Noble had turned provider but Cort put him off and he put the ball wide from inside the area. 

A shot from Noble was blocked by Cort after the Addicks hesitated.    Charlton put in some good approach play, but N’Guessan’s effort was too close to the keeper.   Wiggins put in some great defending and drew a foul.

Carlisle won a free kick in a dangerous position.   McGovern’s curling effort was defended well.

Good play by Solly won Charlton a corner.   Jackson’s corner put the keeper under pressure, but ultimately the move was unproductive and Carlisle applied some pressure.

Stephens tackled well and then Cort headed away.    Charlton had done well in the midfield battle, but had been somewhat lacking in the final third.

HT 0-0

Charlton advanced well through Kermorgant and Wright-Phillips who won a corner.    The ball was whipped in with pace but evaded both Morrison and Cort.    Cook shot straight at Hamer.

Cook turned provider for Noble who put one against the upright and Morrison was able to clear, as word came through that the Massives had equalised.   Charlton broke and an effort by Wright-Phillips was saved.   Kermorgant was down injured.

A shot from Jackson took a deflection for a throw in.   Jackson put in a dangerous cross, but Carlisle were able to get it away.   Charlton won a corner taken by Jackson.   There was a bit of a scramble but the keeper eventually recovered.

Cort defended well, but Cook got a shot away which was just over the top.   Wiggins advanced but couldn’t quite pick out a Charlton player.   Carlisle advanced but Pritchard put in a superb challenge just outside the ‘D’. 

Wagstaff came on to replace N’Guessan.    Kermorgant fed Wright-Phillips who was clean through but the keeper saved at the expense of a corner.  The keeper scrambled the corner away as Kermorgant headed it goalwards.  

Wright-Phillips turned provider for Kermorgant, but the ball was blocked by a Carlisle defender.  The corner wasn’t the best from Wagstaff and went out of play.

Cort was shown a yellow card for a foul.   McGovern’s free kick was headed away.    The flag was raised against Zoko after Cort slipped on the well watered pitch.

For some reason Carlisle took off Jordan Cook who had been one of their best players.    A cross by Wiggins led to a corner for the Addicks.  Kermorgant’s header was tipped over the crossbar by the keeper.    Bradley Wright-Phillips scored from Jackson’s corner, stabbing it in after Stephens got the ball down.

Jackson curled the ball in, but Wright-Phillips couldn’t get enough on his shot.   The Cumbrians won a corner kick after Wagstaff failed to clear.   Carlisle made a double substitution.   Charlton tried to take the ball away, but Carlisle won a free kick ten yards outside the area.    Murphy’s effort was stopped by the wall, Carlisle tried to keep up the pressure but their shot was blocked.

Kermorgant advanced but the keeper made a great save.    Taylor came on for the Addicks and Wright-Phillips went off.   The keeper punched the corner clear.    Morrison headed away from a Carlisle free kick.

Carlisle put a shot came in after Wagstaff failed to clear and it went off Taylor’s chest to Hamer.   Four minutes were added on.   Zoko forced a corner.   Carlisle kept up the pressure, but Noble’s effort was poor and gave the Addicks a goal kick.   Wiggins was fouled and Charlton won a free kick and the whistle was blown.

No comments:

Post a Comment