Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Carry on Drawing

It was Magennis and Novak up front against Oldham Athletic at The Valley tonight with Lookman on the bench. Ricky Holmes was back. Jackson was on the left in a 4-4-2 formation. Oldham were playing five in midfield, but pushing three up front when an opportunity presented itself.

It looked as if target 20k might be achieved with that many empty seats. Oldham had sold 23 tickets ahead of the game. The total attendance in terms of those actually there was not much more than 6,000. The official attendance was announced at 8,745, but even Jeremy Corbyn would have been able to find a seat.

It was a nervous start for both teams. A lot of the early play was in Charlton’s half. The Addicks were misplacing their passes. Magennis put in a shot straight at the keeper in the first real chance of the game.

Ulvestad was fouled and Charlton won a free kick, but it was 35 yards out and Fox put it over the bar.

Konsa conceded a corner after Oldham broke down the left. The corner was claimed by Rudd. Rudd had to save from Green. Oldham were playing the better football and there were boos from the Addickted. There was indecision at the back as Oldham pressed.

But then against the run of play Magennis scored with a great strike on 22 minutes. Magennis drove in from a tight angle after a great ball from Crofts released Holmes who surged forward. Charlton kept possession for the first time with 21 passes and it paid off.

Bauer made a great sliding tackle on the edge of the box to break up an Oldham attack.

Solly made a goal saving block to deny Palace loanee Ladapo who had an open goal in front of him. Rudd got hold of the loose ball.

A good move down the left, the cross from Holmes missed everyone as did the return ball from Ulvestad. It all started with good work by Konsa.

HT: Charlton 1, Lactics 0

Charlton got a corner after 14 seconds after a shot by Magennis was put behind, but it was cleared. On 48 minutes Ladapo dragged wide from 12 yards.

Holmes beat McKay to turn provider for Magennis, but the striker fired over the bar. On 55 minutes Novak got into the box and won Charlton a corner. It was cleared to Ulvestad who volleyed wide.

On 63 minutes Foley and Lookman replaced Jackson and Crofts. Erwin replaced Ladapo for Oldham.

The Lactics won a corner, but Holmes got it clear. Bauer had to stretch out to deny the lively Erwin a chance to score.

Lookman put in a cross, evading two players on, and the ball was headed out for a corner. Holmes got away from his marker but put the ball wide. Green was able to flash the ball across the goal.

Fox fed Lookman with a great ball, but he could not evade his two markers. Erwin shot at Rudd from distance. Konsa put in a great tackle to deny Erwin.

Fox gave away an unnecessary free kick. Clarke flicked a header into the bottom left-hand corner to make it 1-1. Not a great surprise as Charlton kept on retreating.

Lookman hit the bar from distance. Novak was replaced by Ajose on 86 minutes.

Oldham controlled possession in the closing minute as the boos rang out. Konsa blocked a ball from Erwin. Four minutes were added on. Bauer made a vital tackle in the box. Charlton won a corner in the dying seconds, but Lookman’s effort was too deep. The boos rang out as the whistle blew.

<;p>Charlton did go up to 12th, above Millwall (who lost 3-1 at Port Vale) in 17th place, but a win would have seen them advance to 9th.

Chris Powell's Derby won 2-0 at Cardiff.

1 comment:

  1. please can the management team drop solly and fox everyone can see it why cant you??????????