Wednesday 16 August 2017

Those were the days

On Saturday my non-league team, Leamington, play Stockport County at home in the National League North. I won't be there or at The Valley as it is my last chance to spend some time with my granddaughters before they become, in effect, adults. One starts work on Monday; one is off to music college in Birmingham; and the third is deciding whether to enter the exacting selection process for Cambridge University.

In 2000 Charlton were away at Stockport. In those days I travelled away on the West Sussex mini bus. Usually, I met them in a quiet road just off the M40 junction. Once they took a wrong turn and I had to clamber down the embankment to be greeted by a number of them answering a call of nature.

On this occasion my car had broken down so the minibus came into the Royal Spa where bemused residents saw Charlton supporters clambering out for a toilet break. Not surprisingly, they managed to meet a Coventry City supporter, but, more surprisingly, a Watford fan.

Fortunately the guy who drove a hearse was not at the wheel that day and we made good time to the Railway End at Stockport. Pitch announcer Brian Cole managed the challenge of squeezing through the narrow turnstiles.

I found the programme which contains an extraordinary discussion of the toilet on the Charlton team coach. Read more here: Where you when you were good?

No comments:

Post a Comment