Saturday 18 March 2023

Back to back away wins

Charlton won 2-1 at Cambridge this afternoon after a game of two halves.   The Addicks have gone up to 11th.

Corey Blackett-Taylor was not available this afternoon and will be out for six to eight weeks with a hamstring problem.   Charlton played a 4-3-3.

Charlton won the first corner of the game after nine minutes, but it ended in a goal kick.  

Cambridge won a corner.   Morgan headed it away.  

Rak-Sakyi provided the perfect assist for Leaburn to score on 16 minutes after a good ball over the top from Sean Clare.  Cambridge had tried to claim for offside.

Charlton were being given space and also creating it for themselves.   The midfield were dynamic and the wide players were doing well.

Morgan's free kick was excellent with a delivery to the near post and Rak-Sakyi scored on 28 minutes to make it 0-2.  It was very well worked with Campbell distracting Cambridge.

Sean Clare had to receive treatment for a head injury.

Disgruntled Cambridge fans started to turn their disappointment on the officials.

Three minutes were added on.   Cambridge got a last minute corner but the delivery was over everyone.  Charlton had clearly dominated and created a lot of opportunities.

Steve Brown said we had played with an excellent tempo, we had come alive today.   The front two wide players looked really good.   We needed a killer instinct in the second half.   He would like to see Morgan and Fraser break into the box and get a shot away.

HT: 0-2

Kanu came on after the break for Leaburn.  He may have had a niggle.  Cambridge made three changes which made a difference.  They moved to four at the back.

Hector had to concede a corner.  Cambridge had a free header but Maynard-Brewer made a good save diving to his left.

The second half was not going the way of the first in terms of chances and possession.

Charlton had to concede a corner.   Cambridge got a goal back  on 71 minutes with the unmarked Jones stretching at the far post after an initial header from Brian Bennett.

Kilkenny came on for Morgan.  Sessegnon came on, replacing Thomas.

Cambridge were winning the 50-50s.  Kilkenny headed away a Cambridge corner.   It had been a difficult 10 minutes for Charlton.

A shot from Brophy was blocked.   Inniss cleared away an attempt from Tracey.

Charlton were still under pressure despite the changes with Payne coming on.   Kanu was brought down, but nothing was given.   There is general agreement that it was a penalty.  A Charlton corner ended in a free kick for Cambridge.

Seddon got a yellow card for a foul.  The free kick was unproductive.  Cambridge made another substitution.  

Four minutes were added on.  Rak-Sakyi came off.   Charlton won a late corner.  

The pundits

Kevin Lisbie said that we gave away the ball sloppily in the first five minutes of the second half encouraged Cambridge.    Steve Brown said that Sean Clare got caught in possession twice.  Scott Minto asked whether we had missed the physicality and mobility of Miles Leaburn in the second half. Kevin Lisbie said it was evident we had missed him in the second half.

Louis Mendez provides his four takeaways from the game, noting that Michael Hector is looking more the part:

No comments:

Post a Comment