Sunday 7 May 2023

Charlton give lead away twice

Charlton finished 10th after drawing 2-2 with Cheltenham Town this afternoon.

It was a bench packed with youngsters at Cheltenham Town.   Dobson was not risked in case a yellow card earned him a three game suspension.  Red card specialist Ryan Inniss was also not used:

Cheltenham won two early corners after some poor Charlton defending.

Fraser was flagged offside as he put the ball in the net.  Charlton had a lot of possession but their patient build ups could not break down the home defence.

A shot by Henry from distance was not too far over.   Morgan went for goal, but couldn't hit the target.

After good play by Charlton involving Campbell, Rak-Sakyi looked like scoring but Taylor made a fortunate block.

A Henry free kick won by Campbell was easily gathered by the keeper.

After outstanding work by Campbell on the left following a pass from Morgan (who was fed by Thomas) the ball was deflected for Fraser who scored on 34 minutes to give Charlton the lead.

A Chelthenham free kick led to a corner and Charlton took a while to clear their lines.

Rak-Sakyi fell awkwardly and was holding his shoulder.

Rak-Sakyi advanced but slipped and Southwood did enough to stop Charlton scoring a second goal.

Curbs said we deserved to be in the lead.   Steve Brown said that Cheltenham had a bright start and caused a few issues in the opening ten minutes, we were a little bit stretched, but then we started to take control.

HT: Robins 0, Addicks 1

Danger man May put in a great ball, Maynard-Brewer saved but put into the path of Keena to make it 1-1 just after half time.

Cheltenham were lifted and built nicely but the shot was off target.

There was good work by Leaburn and Rak-Sakyi, but Frasser's effort was blocked.

Charlton had a penalty shout after Rak-Sakyi was brought down in the area.

The keeper did just enough to deny Campbell.   Hector ran well to meet the ball from a corner but couldn't get enough purchase on a header.

Sessegnon was involved in some good build play, but the ball wouldn't sit well for Rak-Sakyi.

On 73 minutes Egbo and Henry came off, Payne came on with Asiimwe.

Maynard-Brewer made a great save from May as he looked like scoring his 20th goal of the season.

After a terrible ball out by the keeper, Payne showed great awareness and provided a calm, composed finish to make it 2-1 to Charlton in front of the Addickted.    Nearly a 1,000 of them had more or less filled the away end.

Rylah and Roddy came on and Sessegnon and Campbell went off on 83 minutes.   Maynard-Brewer saved comfortably from Sercombe.

Rak-Sakyi went off to warm applause and Mitchell came on.   Charlton switched off and May's finish was unstoppable to make it 2-2.   May milked his applause: he may not be at the Completely-Suzuki stadium next season.

In time added on, Roddy appeared to have won a corner but the referee awarded a goal kick.

Curbs said that it was probably a fair result in the end, they looked stronger in the second half. 

Plymouth have won the title, Accrington and Morecambe have been relegated and MK Dons will be exercising their franchise in League Two next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment