Wednesday 3 August 2011

The countdown begins

Just another 48 hours and I will be getting ready to travel to The Valley. The football season is within touching distance. Yesterday I was doing a preview for Radio Mercia on Coventry City, but now I can start to think about Charlton with a real sense of anticipation.

I have a sense of optimism about the coming season, although perhaps I will already have suffered a setback by 5 p.m. on Saturday. Last year's team simply wasn't good enough to achieve the promotion that all Addicks desire and it seems to me that some good choices of new players have been made. How they will play together remains to be seen, but early indications are of a passing game with the occasional use of a judicious long ball.

There are those who insist that the problem is the manager not the players and are calling for judgment to be made after three games. I think we need to be a little more patient and not too short-termist. What we need in the early part of the season is to stay in touch: the example of Southampton last year shows that it is possible to go forward from a solid base.

Come on you Reds!

1 comment:

  1. Wyn, I have a tendency to be a little superstitious and particularly believe in 'Sod's Law'. With this in mind I suddenly find myself wondering if our extended stay in the third division has been, in part, due to your Championship Diary on loan to the third division south. Now that you have gone to the trouble to start this blog, no doubt we will escape this division to make this blog redundant.

    I do hope so.

    ReplyDelete