Sunday 7 August 2011

Matt Taylor: the pressure is on

Matt Taylor writes about the experience joining Charlton in today's edition of The Football League Paper.  He notes, 'The pressure is on me and the rest of the new boys to perform straight away but we've got to relish that expectancy - as a player you want to play in front of big crowds every week and we're going to get them.'  [16,111 yesterday, marginally down on 16,236 last year].

'There's big expectations at a club of this size that was an established Premier League team not too long ago, has a big fanbase  and owners who want success.'   He adds, 'Having a big fanbase can sometimes be a burden and when I played at The Valley last season in front of a massive crowd we got on top and it wasn't easy for the home players.  If we can get [the fans] withuis early then we're in for the season we all want.'

'It's going to take time for us all to gel as a group but we're getting where we want to be and if we can hit the ground running and build momentum the whole club would jump on board.'   [They certainly seemed to be playing as a team who knew each other yesterday].

Of Chris Powell he says, 'The gaffer has really impressed me since I knew he wanted me to come to the club.  As a player he had a fantastic career with a superb work ethic and from what I've seen he's going to be a great success at Charlton and further down the line.'

'I am desperate to do all I can to help the club get back into the Championship.'

No comments:

Post a Comment