Saturday 4 February 2017

Home draw specialists

Charlton drew 1-1 with Fleetwood at The Valley today in front of an official attendance of less than 10,000. After a frustrating start, they went ahead on 37 minutes through the returning Ricky Holmes who was substituted in the second half to a standing ovation.

There was a long delay to the match around the 60 minute mark as the fourth official took a long time to replace an injured lino. Fleetwood started to exert more pressure towards the end of the half and equalised in the ten minutes added on. Nathan Byrne was then harshly sent off for a foul.

Cole broke through on two minutes, but an angled shot was well saved by Rudd. Fleetwood packed the midfield and defence and Charlton needed to make more use of width. The Addicks were not finding it easy to find a way through. Just before the half hour mark, the visitors had a succession of three corners and there were signs of panic in the Charlton defence, but ultimately the ball was cleared.

A minute's applause paid tribute to Liam Meadows on 29 minutes, following by a rousing chorus of Valley Floyd Road from the Covered End.

On 37 minutes, following a Charlton corner, Forster-Caskey, making his Valley debut, picked out Ricky Holmes who put the ball in the net from a yard out.

On 41 minutes, Byrne was taken out from behind by Schawbl, but the referee gave nothing. However, Forster-Caskey was given a yellow card for a late challenge. McLaughlin was then booked for a foul on Holmes.

HT: Addicks 1, Cod Army 0

On 47 minutes a fine run by Konsa won Charlton a corner. A run down the left by Holmes won a corner on 49 minutes.

On 58 minutes there was a break in play after a lino was injured. At first it was thought that it was earache caused by Uwe Rossler, but it turned out to be an ankle injury. It took an age for the fourth official to get changed, a cheer being raised when he took his trousers off.

Cole pounced on a loose pass by Chicksen and got through, Rudd made a great save.

Chicksen had to go off on 65 minutes because of injury and Jackson had to slot in as left back, not somewhere where he is really comfortable. A cross from Holmes found Bauer, but his header lacked power. Holmes got a yellow card for a foul.

A Fleetwood effort hit Bauer and Rudd claimed. Watt had a big miss on 77 minutes, but he was offside in any case. Holmes went off and Novak came on. Some of the floodlights went off, presumably Katrien had forgot to feed the meter.

As the visitors stepped up the pressure, a volley was just wide. Teixeira was brought on to shore up the defence with Forster-Caskey going off to applause. A Fleetwood corner was not easily cleared by Charlton.

In the ten minutes added on, Konsa got a yellow card for a foul. Charlton failed to clear a Fleetwood corner and Bell made it 1-1. Watt won a free kick and there was a loose ball in the box, but Fleetwood cleared. With Charlton down to ten men after Byrne was sent off, Fleetwood tried for a winner and hit the post.

Official attendance was 9,916, of which the Fleetwood massive contributed 140.

Charlton have slipped back to 12th, six points off a play off place.

There were angry scenes at Sellout Park as the Glaziers lost 0-4 to Sunderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment