Saturday 30 July 2022


Charlton made a decent start at a wet Wham Stadium in front of 892 Addicks, but were unable to convert promising opportunities. Blackett-Taylor made a good move on 12 minutes, but DJ could not steer it goalwards.  Curbs had expressed some doubts about him before the game.

Accrington threatened on the half hour mark, but an important block was made after an initial header by Dobson.

A good move was started by Sessegnon, Albie Morgan made a surging run along two-thirds of the pitch, a ball back across from DJ on the overlap allowed Fraser to score the opening goal of the season and his first goal for Charlton on 35 minutes.

Morgan took a shot after a good move down the right by Clare but it went just over the bar.   Accrington manager Coleman remonstrated with the referee, about what was unclear.

Scott Minto thought we played really well, got the ball down.   Curbs said we never allowed them to get going in the opening phase of the game.   Steve Brown said that Woolacott had made a couple of good saves.  He was very comfortable passing along the ground.   Curbs warned that we needed to defend the set plays.

HT: 0-1

Accrington put a ball across the six yard box, but none of their players was close enough to take advantage.

O'Connell made a last ditch challenge to stop Hamilton equalising.  

Morgan delivered but a Stockley header was just wide of the post.  

A McConville strike was saved by Woolacott at the expense of a corner.   This corner and a second one were unproductive.

Woolacott had to make another save.  DJ was fouled and the Accrington No.3 was booked.   The home side had raised their tempo.

A clash of heads required a head bandage for Inniss.   Accrington advanced on the Charlton left, got over Inniss and Clare with a lofted shot and McConville on his own scored the equaliser into the roof of the net from the edge of the box.

Accrington made a substitution, while DJ went off.and Leaburn came on.  Morgan came off and was replaced by McGrandles.  

Blackett-Taylor came off and Payne came on for his Charlton debut.  Leaburn had to make two clearances from an Accrington corner.

Six minutes were added on.  There was great work on Segnesson on the left who combined with Kirk, Payne put in a cross and Leaburn scored from the far post with a header!   But then Accrington scored an equaliser when it looked like Charlton had all three points.

The pundits

Scott Minto said in the second half we were lucky to take a point.  Steve Brown said they had dominated the second half.  They were a completely different side.   We needed to be more compact. Curbs said he would have taken a point.   Steve Brown said he thought Wollacott was our man of the match.   We might not see the best Charlton side or performances for another six weeks.  Curbs said there were a lot of straight balls and more angled balls were needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment