Saturday 9 March 2024

Victory at The Valley

Charlton didn't make it easy, but at last they won at The Valley with a 3-2 victory over Carlisle United, Alfie May scoring a brace.   The Addicks are 14th in the table, ten points ahead of the leading club in the relegation zone - Cheltenham Town who lost at Oxford.

Luke Armstrong put the Cumbrians in front but May levelled before the break. Daniel Kanu then shot the Addicks ahead before a Taylor Charters penalty brought the Cumbrians level.  Former Addick Lavelle's under hit back pass allowed May to score his second goal to secure the points.

Thierry Small was involved in Charlton's early attempts, cutting in from the left and drawing a save from Harry Lewis.   Then on 15 minutes United's keeper made an excellent save, keeping out George Dobson's goalbound header as May crossed into the box.

Gillesphey was caught on the ball by Diamond, who combined with Jack Ellis to win a corner. Taylor Charters' low delivery was kept alive by Harrison Neal and when Charters crossed again, Lavelle helped it on and Armstrong managed to hook a shot around a defender and high past Isted.

In response, a Terell Thomas header lacked power as Lewis smothered the chance.

But Charlton's increased pressure eventually told as, from the right, Daniel Kanu placed a shot into the path of the arriving May, who was ahead of Lavelle as he tucked the shot low to Lewis's right to level the scores.

The Addicks were now firmly on top and Lewis had to backpedal to turn a floated Dobson delivery over the United bar.

As Charlton took control. Kanu put them in front as he latched onto a clever May pass and got away from Lavelle's attentions to dig a shot high past Lewis.

But nine minutes later Carlisle fought back - Armstrong held in the box by Gillesphey, referee Tom Nield pointing to the spot and Charters firing confidently into the top left corner past Isted.

United could then have gone behind again soon after but Kanu, free in the box, nodded Watson's header against the left-hand post.  Lewis made a good save from a Conor Coventry shot before Simpson sent on Emmanuel and Sean Maguire in a double change, Charlton introducing Wickham for his debut.

The Blues then went behind as Lavelle, facing his own goal, under hit a pass back to Lewis - May intercepted, took it wide of the keeper to the left and then steered it home from a narrow angle at close range.

Debutante Wickham had a shot saved by Lewis as Charlton broke.   Anderson was below par and had to be withdrawn carrying a yellow card.

The Covered End erupted into chants of 'Nathan Jones' Red Army'.

Attendance: reported as 13,978, 872 from Cumbria.

May is now targeting the League One golden boot:

Reaction from Nathan Jones:





No comments:

Post a Comment