Tuesday 7 March 2017

Watt penalty secures three points for Charlton

A Tony Watt penalty at the end of full time secured three points for Charlton as they beat Scunthorpe United 2-1 at The Valley tonight.

The start of the game was delayed for fifteen minutes. At first it was thought that this was because of overflowing urinals caused by vinegar pissers, but then it was stated to be because of traffic problems. In fact staff were searching the streets for passers by they could get into the ground. The official attendance was 9,088 with 301 from Scunthorpe, but there were probably about 5,000 Addicks in the ground.

Charlton dominated the first half and Johnnie Jackson put them ahead on 32 minutes.

Charlton started brightly and on three minutes, after a free kick from Holmes, Teixeira hit the crossbar. On six minutes Rudd had to palm the ball away. A spell of Charlton pressure ended with a Holmes cross being cleared. Teixeira was clipped in the box, but the referee waved played on. On 31 minutes Magennis put a cross-cum-shot across the face of goal.

A Charlton corner from Holmes found Jackson in the vicinity of the penalty spot, and with Scunthorpe focusing their attention on Magennis, he scored with a volley.

On 43 minutes Holmes put the ball across the six yard box for Aribo, but he was blocked off.

HT: Addicks 1, Iron 0

There was a scrappy start to the second half. Then Magennis went down injured and was replaced by Crofts. This forced Charlton into a change of formation and allowed Scunny to apply more pressure. Konsa dealt well with Hopper, but the visitors hit the inside of the post. Teixeira defended well at the expense of a corner.

Then on 75 minutes with Rudd out of his goal trying to palm the ball away, Van Veen was able to score into an empty net making it 1-1.

Watt replaced Novak. Byrne got a yellow card for a foul. Ahearne-Grant replaced Holmes on 86 minutes. Then Teixeira was pulled back in the box and Watt scored a good penalty, jumping into the Covered End to celebrate. Chicksen got a yellow card but Scunny were unable to take advantage of their free kick.

Charlton are now 14th in the table and nine points above the first relegation position.

No comments:

Post a Comment