Monday 16 October 2017

Bring on the White Tigers

Waiting for a train at Exeter St. David's yesterday morning I bought a copy of the Western Morning News out of curiosity. There was a big feature on the FA Cup hopes of Truro City (Klub Peldroes Truro in Cornish). Little did I anticipate that Charlton would be drawn at home to the White Tigers in the FA Cup. Keslowena. Bledhen nowydh da? They are currently third in the National League South

Football in Cornwall faces special challenges. Truro's nearest away game is Weston Super Mare which is 150 miles away. The team actually trains in Exeter and departs from there as almost all the players are Devon based.

The club has faced some big challenges and almost disappeared some five years ago because of the actions of a big spending owner: Truro City

Cornwall is egg chasing country and football can struggle. The last Cornish team to reach the first round of the FA Cup was in 1969. Falmouth Town got as far as the first round three times in the 1960s and also won the Western League a number of times in the early 1970s. I used to watch them with my father when I visited my parent's retirement home (my mother's family was from Cornwall), indeed it was the last club we watched together. The Cornish pasties were superb.

Some sceptics have argued that Truro City will not fill the Jimmy Seed, but I remember that they brought a big away contingent to Leamington a few years back. There will be the added incentive of a trip to London, so I expect the sleeper will be filling up as soon as a date is known. One of my friends on the Isles of Scilly also has a house in Truro and makes a return trip to London every other weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment