Friday 28 September 2018

Have I been sacked?

In the Porthmellon Studio of Radio Scilly

My position as mainland football correspondent of Radio Scilly may be in jeopardy. I was planning tomorrow to reassure local Plymouth Argyle supporters that their team put in a decent performance at The Valley last Saturday. The Argyle Community Trust was working with the Five Islands Football Club training youngsters on St. Mary's in August.

Yesterday morning the station was on auto pilot. Morning show host Will Lethbridge was revealed by Facebook as being in Barcelona. Ofcom had changed the license holder at 6.01 a.m. that morning. Investigations at Companies House revealed that Zoe Parry and her partner had resigned as directors. BTW, I was interested to learn that one former director had 'Charlton' as his middle name. I thought that only happened on Only Fools and Horses!

This morning I tuned in and heard the dulcet tones of community bus driver and local councillor Steve Sims. It was evident that he was struggling with the equipment and the running order. It also emerged that no one was ringing in to answer the breakfast brain teaser, but eventually someone did and got it right.

I sent Steve a message of sympathy because I wouldn't like to host the morning show which is the peak listening time and he did read it out on air, so perhaps all is not lost. Having been involved in commercial radio since it started, I would struggle with the equipment!

But don't expect my football preview tomorrow! I'm not sure that anyone listens, although a friend who was staying in a hotel was told by the owner that 'he knows all the managers.' Which I don't! Some of them I wouldn't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment