Sunday 27 September 2020

Poor start to new era on the pitch

A new era may have started for Charlton off the pitch, but it was a poor start on the pitch this afternoon after the Addicks went down 2-0 to Lincoln City at the LNER Stadium.   All they left with was a collection of yellow cards.

Charlton had edged the first half at least in terms of chances, but then saw Lincoln score following a penalty on just past 45 minutes.  The Imps appeared to be offside.

In the second half Charlton played less well.   Lincoln often had possession and the final ball by Charlton was lacking.  Bonne and Washington did not link up as well as they had in the first half. Lincoln then scored their second in the dying minutes of normal time after Charlton had carelessly conceded a corner. 

Washington had one of the best chances of the game after three minutes when Doughty turned provider, but put the ball just wide of the post.

Charlton had a spell of pressure and then won three corners in succession around the half hour mark, but to no avail.

Charm merchant McGrindles received the first yellow card of the game for a foul on Levitt.  A Lincoln free kick from a dangerous position was blocked.

As the half came to a close, a free kick was awarded against Pratley for an alleged handball.   As the ball was cleared from the area, the referee awarded a penalty.  I wasn't sure what it was for, but he was decisive.

Amos saved the penalty, but Grant put the ball in the net from the rebound.   They seemed to be offside and the referee and linesman had a discussion.  Apparently, they weren't sure whether it was offside or not, so decided to award the goal.  Captain Darren Pratley was furious and an equally furious Bowyer remonstrated with the referee as he walked off the pitch.

Half time: Imps 1, Addicks 0

It was a lively game again in the second half.  Fameno was pulled off on 60 minutes for Watson.  He had seemed comfortable, but perhaps he can't play 90 minutes.

On 65 minutes Barker put in a great cross to Bonne, but he was unable to use it.  I thought that Bonne had a disappointing game.

Pratley received a yellow card on 75 minutes.   Charlton made a double substitution with Otzumer being replaced by Forster-Caskey and Williams coming on for Levitt.  Williams made some positive contributions.

Watson took a yellow card for the team and then Eyoma received one for following Doughty.  Lincoln had most of the possession.   Barker received a yellow card for repeated fouls.

Osilaja, who had had a decent game up until then, played the ball along the line to Amos and conceded the corner.  Lincoln then scored through Montsma from a free header.

In the six minutes added on, Forster-Caskey received a yellow card for a foul while Johnson was given one for kicking the ball away.

There's a lot of work to do.

On 65 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment