Tuesday 24 August 2021

Darren Bent recalls relegation

I put an issue of Four Four Two to one side and I have only just read a feature on Darren Bent.  A questioner from Greenwich, presumably a Charlton fan, asked: 'Charlton went down in your second season there - what went wrong?'

Darren Bent replied: 'Alan Curbishley left, which messed us up, then we got ourselves into a bit of bother.  I scored a lot of goals that season, but got an injury in January after Alan Pardew came in.   I scored in both of his first two games in charge, and won two Sky Man of the Match awards.'

'He made me captain, but the injury was at a killer time.   I came back and scored four goals, but then Spurs came to The Valley, beat us 2-0 and that was it: we went down.  I genuinely think that if I could have stayed fit that season, with the way the momentum was going, we could have stayed up.'

No comments:

Post a Comment