Tuesday 14 February 2023

Clean sheet win

Charlton secured their third away win in a row at the Bolt New Lawn tonight, their fifth win in seven.  Charlton are now 11th.

Chuks Aneke started at Forest Green Rovers tonight. Bonne was dropped to the bench after a search in the nearby countryside for a barn door he could hit.   Sessegnon was fit enough to start.   The Inniss red card had been rescinded.   

Charlton made some good early moves and dominated possession, but there was no end product.

Rak-Sakyi advanced down the right with a great run, cut inside and fed Blackett-Taylor who couldn't miss to make it 0-1 on 11 minutes, his sixth goal of the season.

Clare put in a ball from the right, Aneke headed it on but Rak-Sakyi wasn't able to take advantage of the chance.

Charlton's play was fluid with good contributions from the midfield.

A Forest Green free kick in a potentially dangerous position was unproductive.

Charlton were caught on the break, but Clare managed to hold things up and the shot was off target.

Forest Green were growing into the match more and won a corner.  Aneke provided a defensive header.

Blackett-Taylor advanced down the left, but his shot was wide of the near post.   Steve Brown thought he lacked composure on the shot.

Scott Minto said that not a lot really happened.  Curbs said it had been a bit of a flat half, but we were in the lead.  Steve Brown said we wanted more of a clean sheet mentality in the first half.  If we stayed organised, we should see it through.

HT: Vegans 0, Addicks 1

Garrick had to go off on 48 minutes and was replaced by McAllister for FGR.

A good break won a Charlton corner but it was taken short and was unproductive.

Dean Holden was worried that the defence was dropping too deep and conceding possession in dangerous areas.

Robbie Savage's son Charlie came on, his dad was watching in the stands.  He did add something.

Aneke came off after 69 minutes and Bonne came on.

Dobson got a smack in the face but was able to continue.  Sessegnon put in the third shot on target for Charlton of the match.

Charlton were on the back foot as the home side won three corners.  Fraser made a good tackle for the third one.   The home side were being given too much space.

Forest Green made a double change.    FGR advanced with pace, but their shot was wide.

Blackett-Taylor and Kilkenny came off.   Hector made his debut.   Payne came on.   FGR won another corner.

FGR counter attacked, Hector headed away and a corner was conceded.   Maynard-Brewer made a great save to his right hand side, but there was a free kick.

There were five minutes on.  Bonne won two free kicks.   Hector made an important block.

Charlton rode their luck in the second half, but they collected three points.   Congratulations to the 800+ Addicks who went to a chilly Gloucestershire.

The pundits

Curbs said we conceded too much ground in the second half.   Curbs said that Forest Green lacked quality.  We had the one bit of quality on the night.  Steve Brown said they were a team lacking confidence, struggling to score goals.  Curbs said we had some great blocks.   Steve Brown said we were on the back foot, a bit of desperation in terms of last ditch defending.   The tempo of passing was too slow in the second half, it was laboured.   It looked like Saturday.

Dean Holden thanked the supporters who made the trip.  He admits that the players thought it was too easy after the first 25 minutes and they started to be careless: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dean-holden-offers-to-help-lovestruck-charlton-fans-as-he-praises-their-support-during-forest-green-win-on-valentines-night/

No comments:

Post a Comment