Saturday, 22 April 2017

Charlton strengthen their hold on 14th place

Charlton strengthened their hold on 14th place with a 2-1 win at Chesterfield this afternoon. However, they failed to keep a clean sheet and were unable to score from a last gasp penalty.

Charlton did not start well, finding it difficult to cope with Chesterfield's 3-5-2 formation and in particular with the lively winger Mitchell. They lacked possession with the home side's midfield five dominating,but managed to survive some early scares.

Magennis advancing on goal was denied by a handball, but instead of the deserved penalty, Charlton got a free kick on the edge of the area. A good effort from Holmes was tipped over by the keeper. Aribo got a yellow card for a foul on Mitchell.

Holmes put in a good ball to Magennis. Instead of laying it off to Ahearne-Grant, who was free on his left, he shot straight at the keeper. Ahearne-Grant, making his first start off the season was furious.

A great run by Konsa was unproductive. Aribo fed Forster-Caskey who shot with his left foot into the bottom right-hand corner to put the Addicks ahead. An effort by Holmes went into the side netting.

HT: Spireites 0, Addicks 1

Charlton continued to play with confidence. Great work by Ahearne-Grant led to a free kick from which Ricky Holmes scored on 57 minutes, his shot taking a deflection off the wall.

With a substitution the home side switched to 4-4-2. Charlton made a double substitution with Botaka replacing Ahearne-Grant and Lee Novak replacing Aribo. Former Spireite Novak received applause from the home support. The change broke up Charlton's rhythm and their formation with more space available in the centre of midfield. A home side snap shot crashed against the crossbar.

Pearce had been putting in some good defensive work, but a Botaka shot was well off target. Johnnie Jackson replaced Magennis. Chesterfield scored through Mitchell. Rudd, who had not been having the greatest of games, saved the first attempt, but Mitchell scored from the rebound. Rudd ended up tangled in the net.

In the last minute of time added on, Forster-Caskey was pushed over. He argued with Holmes about who should take the penalty. Holmes walked away disgruntled and Forster-Caskey's shot was saved.

Attendance was 5,657 with about 600 Addicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment