Saturday 20 January 2018

Convincing win for Charlton

Charlton secured a convincing 3-1 victory over Walsall at The Valley this afternoon, enabling them to hold on to their play off place. They are now just two points behind Bradford who lost at Bristol Rovers. It wasn't entirely straightforward and bringing on Fosu in the second half was a great substitution. The combination of his pace with that of Mavididi allowed the Addicks to dominate play more.

Charlton started brightly, although the returning Chris Solly picked up a yellow card for a foul on 10 minutes. There were chants of 'We Want Roland Out'. It appears that there is now a preferred bidder and a new process of due diligence has started.

Walsall were sitting deep when out of possession and it was difficult to open them up. Magennis broke away and put in a low effort but it was a very tight angle and the keeper was able to tip the ball round the post.

Then on 31 minutes Joe Aribo took advantage of a Mark Marshall cross from the left to put the ball in the bottom corner of the net with a controlled volley. It was his third goal in four home games at The Valley. On 35 minutes Mavididi rattled the bar.

Then on 41 minutes Otzumer took advantage of a cross from Leahy to head the ball into the net to make it 1-1. The former Charlton youngster was released because of his height.

HT: Addicks 1, Saddlers 1

On 48 minutes Lennon was caught in possession and Walsall were able to rattle the bar. Magennis burst through on 50 minutes, but shot straight at the keeper. On 52 minutes Fosu replaced Reeves.

On 61 minutes Mavididi went for goal from a very tight angle when Arbo was screaming for the ball in the middle.

Charlton's crosses were often poor and once again their corners were below the required quality. On 64 minutes Amos reacted well to keep a Walsall corner out. As the Saddlers stepped up the pressure, Bakayoho threatened but his shot fortunately ended up in the side netting.

Charlton hit the woodwork for the second time in the match on 69 minutes when Magennis hit the post with a header. On 71 minutes Roberts made a great save from Konsa. It was difficult to see why Charlton were unable to score in the ensuing scramble.

As Mavividi burst through with great pace, Roberts managed to put the ball in his own net to make it 2-1. On 86 minutes Walsall had an unmarked man on the far post, but were unable to take advantage.

Marshall had been working hard and went down with cramp. The referee gave him some treatment and then he was replaced by Ahearne-Grant.

Mavididi made it 3-1 on 89 minutes. He burst into the box, cut inside a defender and fired past Roberts. Five minutes were added on and once again Charlton's game was virtually the last to finish.

Apparently one signing is almost over the line and negotiations are continuing with Palace about a loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment