Tuesday 4 May 2021

A fighting chance

Charlton kept their play off hopes alive with a 3-1 victory over Lincoln City at The Valley tonight.  All the goals came in the second half after Chuks Aneke came on at the break.

Curbs said that Aneke coming on gave Gilbey and Millar a lift, it changed the dynamic of the whole team.

Jayden Stockley said that in the first half he had to keep it alive, wait for everyone to get back up.  With Chuks on there was someone else in the box that had to be marked.   I feel that me and Chuks do have an understanding.   We weren't as threatening as we wanted to be [in the first half].

Bradley Pritchard said that Stockley is the type of character you want in the changing room.  He was a priority to be signed.

Curbs said that Chuks was a lucky boy, he could have been sent off.

Nigel Adkins said that Lincoln had the best away record in the league, we knew it would be challenging.  We made sure we were in the game.  We had scored from a corner again thanks to Johnnie Jackson's work. We score from set pieces.  I was disappointed with the goal we conceded, there was a suggestion he was offside.  I had to take Chuks off before he got sent off, he's got to learn.  The object was to win the game and we take it to the last game of the season.   

Chuks is a massive threat.   We've got to keep working with him.   We've got an excellent medical team here.   Chuks has only started two games this season and on one he got sent off.  We need to make sure that Jayden Stockley gets a good supply.   His goals are great.

Match report

It was a windy Valley with intermittent heavy showers.   Amos have to save at the expense of a corner on 10 minutes.  Purrington was booked for a professional foul.

Bramall got a yellow card for a foul on Millar.  From a Forster-Caskey free kick with Inniss turned provider but Maatsen headed over the bar and he was offside anyway.

On 28 minutes referee Kevin Johnson had to go off injured and the fourth official took his place.  Forster-Caskey went down and had to be replaced by Morgan on 37 minutes.

Jones got a yellow card for a foul on Inniss.  In the eight minutes added on Millar blasted over.  Sreve Brown thought that we were not creating enough chance.

HT: 0-0

Aneke replaced Purrington.   Gilbey supplied a great ball, Aneke headed downwards and Stockley scored with a half volley.

Charlton were almost caught out immediately and Amos had to save.  Ben Watson was at fault in letting Lincoln advance.

Aneke drew a save from Palmer.   Scully, one of Lincoln's better players, had to be replaced by Howarth.   The effective left back Bramall, formerly with Arsenal, had to be taken off as he was in danger of getting a second yellow.

Millar put in a ball to Stockley who was inches wide.  A Morgan corner found Inniss unmarked at the far post and he scored with a header to make it 2-0.

On 66 minutes Millar burst down the left and passed to Aneke whose shot took a deflection to make it 3-0.

Famewo made a great block.  A Lincoln free kick conceded by Watson in a dangerous position on the edge of the area came off the wall.

Aneke got a yellow card.  On 88 minutes Charlton were looking for an offside and Anderson scored with a neat shot for Lincoln.   This meant that our goal difference is two worse than that of Portsmouth.

Six minutes were added on and Aneke was taken off to be replaced by Pratley who collected his yellow card.  Charlton were being forced back and Morgan made a great defensive header.   Amos had to save and Stockley put in good defensive work, drawing a foul.   Then the whistle blew and Charlton were left with everything to play for on Sunday.

Consulting his book of excuses, Imps boss Michael Appleton said that his team failed to play with their usual edge: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/lincoln-city-boss-appleton-we-might-get-the-opportunity-to-put-charlton-athletic-result-right/

No comments:

Post a Comment