Saturday 27 November 2021

Bitter blow in time added on

Charlton's unbeaten run came to an end at Shrewsbury with a 1-0 defeat in an ugly and uninspiring game.

Charlton fans had a nightmare journey with trains to Shrewsbury suspended.   Fans had to get taxis from Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Crewe with one fan paying £65 for a Uber from Crewe.   It was a very cold day with a strong swirling wind creating difficult conditions at Montgomery Waters Meadow.  In attendance of 6,158 there were 949 Charlton fans, many arriving during the first half.

Johnnie Jackson praised the fans who battled through the travel chaos:

Shrewsbury won an early corner from a free kick and the home side came close to opening the scoring.

An unforced error gave the home side another corner after seven minutes.   Charlton had been pegged back and were uncomfortable in possession.

MacGillivray had to make a great save from Bloxham at the expense of a corner.   Soare was not with his man and allowed a cross to come in.

Clare matched Bowman physically in a superb defensive move.   Shrewsbury had once again got down Charlton's left hand side.   

Gilbey took a shot on 21 minutes from the edge of the penalty area driving it low and the keeper did well to put it away for a corner.  Charlton won a second corner.   It was taken short and cleared.

Blackett-Taylor made a great run, Washington attacked the ball and Bennett cleared it off the line for a corner.   Charlton had a spell of possession and increased the pressure.  Shrewsbury pulled a lot of players back to defend their penalty area.   The Addicks were finally getting a grip on the game, having weathered the early storm.

Pike had to limp off for Shrewsbury.   Charlton won another corner.  The substitute came on.  

Shrewsbury were often playing with a back line of five and two central midfielders in front of them, making it difficult to get in behind.   Charlton were almost 70 per cent in possession, but had not created very much.

HT: 0-0

An effort from Washington after a run by Blackett-Taylor was saved and then saved again, Charlton winning a corner.

Shrewsbury won a free kick in a dangerous area, Famewo being booked.  

A shot by Lee was parried.   A shot from Bloxham went over the bar.

Davison was taken off and replaced by Leko.   After some minutes he won a corner for Charlton.  Good work by Lee led to a second corner which was cleared away.

Shrewsbury were happy to sit back and wait for a Charlton mistake.   They made a striker substitution, like for like physically.

Soare got a booking for a foul.   DJ came on for Blackett-Taylor.   Famewo had to defend at the expense of a corner.   Soare headed away.  The game was very scrappy with players anxious not to make a mistake.

Leko dug the ball out well and Charlton won a corner.   Lee was booked for dissent.   Clare was booked for a foul.

Four minutes were added on.   Perhaps inevitably, Udoh scored, a foul on Dobson being ignored by the referee.  Jason Euell was booked.

Curbs thought we laboured, any quality was few and far between.  We didn't keep the ball patiently enough in the final third.   Elliot never really got going today.   The conditions did not allow us to control the game.

Jacko said he was really disappointed with the nature of the goal, long throw in our box.  In the late stage of the game you had to have that killer mentality.   We had switched off for a second and it cost us.  In the second half of the first half we were dominant and then we stopped passing in the second half and when we did do it it was slow.   The quality of our cross was particularly poor.   Once we stand back we can be pleased with how it's going.  Today wasn't our day.

Johnnie Jackson was disappointed by aspects of his side's performance, but said that they will bounce back from their defeat:

No comments:

Post a Comment