Wednesday 12 January 2022

Equaliser denied at the death

On cold nights midweek away on a hard, bobbly pitch you have to beat poor sides which Crewe are, but Charlton lost 2-1 at what was Gresty Road.

Neither side had a shot that troubled the opposing keeper in the opening half hour, although Charlton had more of the possession.  Charlton had opportunities which they should have taken.   There was some neat and tidy football in midfield, with Gilbey making some good runs, but a cutting edge was lacking.

The first Crewe corner on 30 minutes had to be punched away by Henderson.  Two earlier Charlton corners were unproductive.

Two good Charlton breaks ended in disappointment.

Following a free kick, Henderson was able to make the initial save, but the Crewe player reacted well to make it 1-0 with a tap in.

After the goal Charlton were struggling to keep possession while the home side became more confident.  Conor Washington was booked.

Henderson had to make a save in time added on at the expense of a corner - and it could well have been a penalty.   Henderson's assessment of the flight of the ball was not good and an easy header from their leading scorer put the home side 2-0 ahead at the end of the half.

HT: 2-0

DJ put in a good cross but the keeper saved Washington's header.  A Lee free kick from just outside the penalty area was saved and no one followed up.   DJ was booked.

Crewe had a penalty claim, but were given a corner which led to a second.

Charlton made a double substitution with Purrington and DJ came off.  Blackett-Taylor and Burstow came on.

After an intervention by the fourth official, Gilbey got a yellow card.   The referee was losing control of the game.

Gilbey made way for Morgan.

An effort for Washington was saved, but Burstow was on hand to score, his first league goal for the Addicks on 79 minutes.

In six minutes added on, Washington was not able to beat the keeper.  Famewo made a decisive tackle and Blackett-Taylor put in a poor shot.

It looked as if Lee had equalised with the last kick of the game after great work by Burstow, but the lino put his flag up.   After a long conversation, the referee gave an offside, apparently against Leko.  He also talked briefly to the fourth official.

The panel in the studio thought the offside was the correct decision as the keeper could not move to his right.

Eddie Youds said that at times Charlton looked really sloppy in everything they did.   The Addicks lost the game in both boxes.   Steve Brown said that we were definitely not on it for 90 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Had the 'equaliser' been allowed, it wouldn't have covered up another dire performance.
    If Sandgaard doesn't open his wallet soon, a return to the relegation battle will happen.