Saturday 14 January 2012

Charlton show their steel

Charlton showed their steel with a 1-0 defeat of Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough this afternoon, the first home defeat for the Owls this season.

It was essentially the same side for Charlton at Hillsborough reports Paul May with Hamer returning from suspension and Stephens back from injury on the bench.    Meanwhile news reached us that those Addicks travelling on the 10.25 from St. Pancras were stuck just outside Leicester by a signal failure with Rick Everitt among their number.

The first Charlton attempt of the game came from Wright-Phillips after good link up play with Kermorgant, but his shot was from a difficult angle and Weaver was able to make the save. Green put in a good cross but no one from Charlton was able to connect.

Wiggins put in a good cross but Kermorgant was unable to connect.    Green put in good defensive work.   Green threatened to break, but Lines defended well.    Hamer had to punch out a floating ball. 

Wednesday threatened with a cross from Marshall on the left, but Hamer made a brilliant save to keep it off the line with Wiggins in support.   Wright-Phillips advanced, but he was crowded out.   Jones cynically fouled Hollands, but no yellow card was given.

A ball from Marshall took a deflection off Solly for a corner, but Hamer did just enough to get it away.   Wright-Phillips was hacked to the ground by Jones giving Charlton a free kick in a good position just outside the box.  Jackson’s superb left footed strike went into the top corner of the goal to put the Addicks 1-0 ahead on 28 minutes as Weaver punched at thin air.

O’Grady got a yellow card for an elbow.    Charlton won a corner, but Weaver punched Green’s ball out and Wednesday won a free kick.   An effort from Morrison was not far wide.   Wiggins was brought down as he advanced and Jones was given a yellow card.   Green slipped as he took the free kick.  A shot from O’Grady went wide.

Lines put in a shot and Hamer took hold of it at the second attempt while Wiggins was down.   The home crowd were getting frustrated.   Great play by Charlton led to a corner for the Addicks, but Wednesday were awarded a free kick for a foul.

A header from Johnson six yards out went straight at Hamer.   Charlton broke after a great kick from Hamer with Green and won a corner.   The corner was over hit by Jackson. 

Kermorgant threatened after good work by Green but the flag went up.   Pritchard battled forward well. 

Four minutes were added on which was rather surprising.   The ball went in the net for Wednesday from Madine but the offside flag went up.   It had been a highly competitive first half in which the Charlton players had given their all.

Half time: Owls 0, Addicks 1

Green put in a good cross but it just evaded Kermorgant.     Wright-Phillips beat Jones with his pace but Weaver came off his line to make a good save.   The move started with excellent work from Wiggins.

Wiggins fed Hollands who turned provider for Wright-Phillips but the flag went up.   Charlton had started the half well, but then they conceded a corner.   It was almost bundled in at the far post, but Charlton got the goal kick.

Wednesday won another corner.    The header from Jones went over the bar.    Wright-Phillips advanced down the right and Charlton won a corner.   Green’s corner was headed away by Jones.

A Wednesday cross from Marshall had to be put behind by Taylor.   The corner was caught by Hamer.   Madine went off to be replaced by Lowe, while Llera came on at the back in place of Jones.   A shot from Wright-Phillips was put behind by Weaver for a corner.   Wiggins tried to keep the pressure on.

Green was replaced by Russell.   Clinton Morrison came on in place of Marshall who had been one of Wednesday’s best players, but Megson’s substitutions came in for some criticism at Bolton.   Wright-Phillips was replaced by Clarke.

Wednesday won a corner and Charlton broke but Pritchard was fouled.     Wednesday applied some pressure.   Wiggins was fouled and Rob Jones received the latest yellow card for the Owls.    Charlton won a corner, but Pritchard’s shot was blocked.   Lowe broke but gave away a free kick.

Cort came on for Charlton.   Wednesday sent everyone forward, Hamer punched the ball out.  The ball was cleared off the line by Wiggins when the home fans thought that the ball was going to be in the back of the net.  

Wednesday won a corner and Weaver came up, but Hamer was eventually able to claim the ball.   Cort headed the ball away.    Charlton broke down the right, Clarke found Russell but the ball went over the bar, but the final whistle went.

1 comment:

  1. So proud of our squad. They can play super football but can also mix it, when necessary, with the 'Flashman' teams in this division.
    The foul mouthed Megson and his bully boys got their just desserts. AND he got a lesson in management from SCP. (Not that he would be bright enough to learn from it).