Saturday 3 December 2011

Euell strike seals Charlton victory

A substantially changed Charlton side faced Carlisle at The Valley this afternoon.   Sullivan was in goal, Cort and Evina were in defence, Pritchard was operating in central midfield and Hayes was up front.  Kermorgant and Wright-Phillips were on the bench.

The game had a quiet start at a subdued, cold, dismal and windy Valley reports Paul May with the attendance announced at 7,461. Solly made a great challenge to snuff out a Carlisle attack.   The first corner of the game went to Carlisle after their first spell of pressure.  Solly brought the ball under control.
Sullivan made an excellent save to stop the visitors going ahead as the ball floated  in.   Carlisle won another corner, although Evina was able to avert greater danger.   Carlisle won a third corner, although Hollands was not happy about the decision.

Pritchard set up Hollands well with a cross field ball but it went out for a goal kick.   Wiggins made a bit of a mess of a clearance.   Wagstaff was clipped setting up Charlton with a free kick 30 yards out, but it was unproductive.
Morrison put in a left footed drive which was only just over the bar.   Carlisle threatened having broken through the Charlton defence, but Sullivan was able to make the save.   Sullivan was not happy with a poor back pass from Pritchard who felt obliged to say sorry.   Charlton were having trouble retaining possession.

Murphy for Carlisle went down holding his right knee and the physio had to come on.   Chris Powell took the chance of the break in play to speak to the players, particularly Evina.    Pritchard caught one of the Carlisle players with a stray elbow and the physio had to come on again.
Robson pushed Green right in front of the lino, leading to a free kick.   The cross in from Green was excellent, Morrison headed the ball down well but Hollands was unable to make use of a great opportunity.   A second attempt went over the bar.

Carlisle won another corner after the ball was charged down by Chris Solly.   Leon Cort dealt with the ball, but they won another corner.   Cort cleared, but the ball came in again.   The visitors won a throw in. 
Ribeiro got a talking to from the referee after he raised his arm to Evina.   Hayes came forward and shot from 35 yards out, but Wagstaff was in a lot of space and Evina was bursting into the box.   The ball took a deflection and was gathered by the keeper.    Pritchard but in a decent ball, but it was slightly over hit and Hayes was unable to connect.

Wagstaff went down and looked to be in some pain.    Hollands put in some good work, but the pass from Hayes just evaded Pritchard.   An effort by Wagstaff following good work by Green went out for a corner after it took a deflection.   Cort headed over from Green’ s corner.
Carlisle launched a counter attack in the two minutes added on, but Sullivan came out well for the ball.   Green made a great run, but it was ultimately unproductive.

Charlton had not got off to the best start, but their resilience was in evidence and they were brighter in the concluding ten minutes.   However, Hayes did not have much of a presence up front.
Half time: 0-0

Within the first minute Robson put in a shot which Sullivan saved at the expense of a corner which led to a nervous moment.
Pritchard burst through, but his shot took a deflection leading to a corner.   The corner ended in a goal kick.

Wagstaff controlled the ball well, but he was not able to put it either side of the keeper who made the save.   His effort livened up the Addickted.    Hayes released Wagstaff who turned provider for Green who shot over the top.   Charlton were certainly looking livelier.
The ball came in from Hollands, Cort and Morrison came into the box late and weren’t picked up, but it wasn’t a good effort from Morrison. 

Green put in a great effort from only five yards inside the half and it went just wide.    The keeper made a bit of a mess of another effort from Green, dropping it the ball.  Wagstaff was poleaxed in the box but nothing was given.
Hollands won Charlton their third corner of the game.    Green’s corner was well taken.  The initial effort from Morrison was blocked, but he went on to score to make it 1-0 on 62 minutes.

The ball nearly went in from Green, but it was in the side netting.   Carlisle won their seventh corner. Scottish charm merchant Rory Loy went off, possibly to prepare for his impending court appearance and was replaced by Zoko.
Carlisle won another corner.   The ball had to be headed off the line by Wiggins.  Sullivan had to tip the ball away, as the visitors stepped up the pressure.

Green and Pritchard combined well leading to a Charlton corner.   Green’s corner was not a good one.  
Green was fouled and then was taken off without getting the goal he wanted, receiving a good round of applause and was replaced by Kermorgant.     Evina’s free kick was punched away by the keeper.

Miller threatened, but Wiggins defended well at the expense of a corner.   Carlisle skipper Thirlwell went off having picked up a knock and Madden came on.   Evina put the ball over the top having shot with his right foot.
Wright-Phillips came on in place of Hayes.    He advanced on goal, tried to pass it past the keeper, but Collin was able to put it out at the expense of a corner.   Cort’s header went over the bar.

Carlisle made their last substitution while Evina came off to a round of applause and Euell came on.  Hollands advanced into the box well and won a corner.   Pritchard did well to win the ball back after taking the corner.   
The ball was floated in from the right by Kermorgant and Euell scored to enthusiastic applause to make it 2-0.   Wiggins and Wright-Phillips combined well: Wiggins should have carried on the run and he might have scored.

Then the whistle was blown and Charlton were through to the 3rd round, let’s hope for an exciting draw.
The Silver Biscuit was awarded to Bradley Pritchard.   Trainee Hiss of the Match analyst Reg was in action after moving into his new home this morning, but slept through most of the game before concluding that the referee had a good match.

No comments:

Post a Comment