Saturday 10 December 2011

Parky: Charlton are a 'great club'

Phil Parkinson talks about Charlton in an interview in The Football League Paper today.  He recalls, 'I was quite philosophical after my exit from Charlton.   They were going through a tough time financially and [had] a lot of problems.'

'When the club was sold I didn't expect to be there long.  I was proud to keep their heads above water and we nearly got promoted.   I have a lot of friends there and I wish Chris Powell all the best.  It's a great club behind the scenes and I'm glad to see them doing well.'

'When I left Charlton there was a chance to go to some Legue One clubs, but the challenge of Bradfod appealed to me.'

Challenge is the operative word.   The Bantams are currently third from bottom in League 2 having drawn at home to fellow strugglers Plymouth yesterday.   However, Parky is not worried about them slipping down to the Conference.   He's targeting a return to the Championship which he sees as the natural level for the one time Premiership club.

My favourite memory of a game against Bradford City was when we were both in Division 1 and targeting promotion.   It was a televised game (I still have the video) and the Bantams thought they could do a number on us and settled for all out attack.  We won 4-2: Morts was brilliant that day.

1 comment:

  1. Parkinson was and still is much maligned by many charlton fans,but having met him, understood the constraints he worked under and hearing he paid for a loan player out of his own pocket I think he was a class act and his interview proves he continues to be a real gent

    ReplyDelete