Saturday 16 October 2021

More disappointment

Charlton lost 2-1 at Lincoln this afternoon and it would be difficult to claim that it was an unfair result. Charlton have dropped a place in the table.

Lincoln had twelve attempts to five and five on target to two.  After starting brightly, the Addicks never seemed to recover from the substitution of Elliot Lee after what appeared to be an injury but in fact was an illness.

Curbs said that after Lee was substituted we were second best all over the pitch.  'We've got so many flair players, if we can't get hold of the ball and impose ourselves, we are on the back foot.'  After the equaliser, we never kicked on.

Jon Fortune said that the shape of the back four didn't look right, the balance of the team wasn't right.  No individual performances stood out for him.  He didn't believe that we were going to put a run of four or five games together.   Nothing was going to happen until we put performances together.

Curbs said it was flat.  If we didn't put the run together, we faced a relegation battle.  It was going to be a long slog.   We had to start on Tuesday.  Scott Minto said that this was where the team really needed the fans.

Arter could have been sent off for a second yellow.   He was trying to get the side going as other players were arm waving and screaming at each other.

Nigel Adkins said we had changed it a bit at half time.  He said we had a clear blatant penalty on the 90th minute.  (The analysts found it difficult to comment on this subsequently).  We should have stopped the cross coming in.   It's fine margins.  Tight calls go against you. Charlie and Josh had not done as well as Josh and Elliot.  

Scott Minto asked if he had been tempted to go for two up front, but didn't get a clear answer.   Adkins said that he wanted to get consistency in the team.

Match report

Charlton started with a 4-2-3-1.   The Addicks started well, but Famewo had to make a good block as Scully and Lincoln threatened.   Leko put in an effort to the right of the post.  Gilbey got a yellow card after a necessary intervention.

Lee had to come off and Blackett-Taylor replaced him, Kirk moving to the centre.

Scully scuffed a shot wide from a good chance after Blackett-Taylor was caught out.  Arter got a yellow card.

Charlton were on the back foot and Johnnie Jackson was screaming at Blackett-Taylor.   Lincoln had a succession of three corners, Davison making a good clearance with a header from one of them.

HT: 0-0

Davison had not been very effective and Srockley replaced him ten minutes into the half.  A hard ball came from a Lincoln corner and Stockley turned it into an open net.  Curbs said that it was a terrible goal to concede.

From a Charlton corner, Stockley flicked it into the danger area, it was blocked on the line but Lavelle poked it past the keeper to make it 1-1.

Stockley got a yellow card.   A Scully shot was saved by MacGillivray at the expense of a corner.  Maguire shot wide.  Stockley headed away from a corner.

Arter was replaced by Watson.  Blackett-Taylor seemed to be struggling with his fitness.  A Scully header found the back of the net but was disallowed for offside.

On 91 minutes from a Lincoln corner the tireless Maguire put in a cross and Poole had a free header to make it 2-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment