Tuesday 25 October 2022

Valley of Disappointment

MK Dons have not lost on their last five outings to The Valley and tonight they secured three points with a 2-0 win, starting with a disputed penalty.   I warned in my preview about reading results off the table.   Charlton had 64 per cent possession.   They have slipped back to 8th in the table.

Wollacott had to make a double save on three minutes and there was a big of a mix up in defence with Egbo right in front of him.

After 15 minutes Steve Brown reckoned that the visitors had been the better side.   Pushing the ball into the final third was not quite coming off for Charlton.

A counter attack by MK on 40 minutes saw them hit the bar and then Wollacott had to palm the ball away with a good save..

Campbell, who had been quite lively, went down with cramp.

It was a case of two teams cancelling each other out.   When Charlton did advance MK defended effectively in depth with the back three working well together.

Campbell had a great chance in the four minutes added on, but hit the side netting.

Curbs said that MK had made it very difficult for us.   Carl Leaburn said they had come here to sit behind the ball.   Curbs said we had huffed and puffed, got to the final third and had no sparkle.

HT: 0-0

Campbell was replaced by Payne on his 28th birthday.  Payne was on the right, Kirk on the left and Rak-Sakyi down the centre.

A superb ball from Fraser allowed Kirk put a ball across goal, but Stockley was unable to connect.

Rak-Sakyi put in a shot which was palmed away.   Inniss was booked in the counter attack.

A shot from Payne was not too far wide.

Charlton gave the ball away easily and Wollacott had to concede a corner.  Inniss headed the ball away.

MK provided a good through ball, Inniss conceded a penalty and he was sent off for a second yellow - but it was outside the box.  MK Dons went ahead from the penalty spot, although Wollacott dived the right way.

On 72 minutes Aneke replaced Stockley and Sessegnon replaced Kirk.

Fraser conceded a free kick about 28 yards out and Johnson scored to make it 0-2.

On 80 minutes Morgan replaced Fraser.   McGrandles came on to replace Dobson.

Curbs said they'd done a number on us.   We never really had an answer to trying to break them down. We're back to the drawing board.  We gave the ball away on so many occasions.   We started the second half a lot livelier.   They were very quick on the counter attack.

Leaburn thought we were riding our luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment