Monday 11 January 2021

Charlton retro

On this day in 2000 I went to see Charlton beat Wolves 3-2 at Molineux on my 53rd birthday.  It was our first win there for 47 years (I was born in 1947).  We had last won in 1953 and victory gave us 53 points.   Five goals were scored in aggregate, three by Charlton, making the magic number 53.  I used to travel to The Valley on the 53 bus.  It was such a series of coincidences that the Charlton programme the following Saturday carried a note about it.



I am especially looking forward to tomorrow night's match against Rochdale.  On 11 January 1947 my father went to see Charlton play Rochdale in the FA Cup (I have the programme, see above).   The Addicks won 3-1. My father then went to the hospital in Greenwich where I was born at 7.30 pm (someone has even put my astrological chart online).

Having enjoyed some success as a non-league footballer, my father hoped that I could emulate him and even play for Charlton.   On my seventh birthday he bought me a good quality pair of football boots.  Unfortunately, I had two left feet and never played competitive football at any level.  The sport in which I was in my university team was a rather obscure one.  

Clue: I was at university in Scotland.   First correct answer in the comments section wins a small prize.

In January 2005 we played Rochdale again in the FA Cup and I sponsored the match ball.  We won 4-1. I have bought eleven raffle tickets for tomorrow night in the hope that I and the team will be lucky.

I am planning to shortly launch a new site called 'Charlton Retro' to include some of my historical Voice of the Valley articles (permission given by Rick Everitt) and also blog posts on former Charlton players etc.


6 comments:

  1. My guess would have to be Tossing the Caber :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both relevant guesses, but a bit less specifically Scottish, Scotland was an ideal place to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly something that happens a lot in Scotland, although not always as a competitive sport. Not the answer.

    ReplyDelete