Friday 8 January 2021

Defensive woes continue

Two goals by former Leamington ace Colby Bishop saw Charlton defeated 0-2 by Accrington Stanley at The Valley with the snow falling this evening.   Both goals were avoidable and the result of poor defending but Bishop showed composure in scoring them.

At the other end there was just not enough creativity and pressure by Charlton to create sufficent scoring opportunities.   The Addicks have not kept a clean sheet for seven games.

Before the game I wrote about Bishop: 'Colby Bishop has scored 42 goals for Accrington since joining them from the Brakes in 2019 for an undisclosed fee.   He was a formidable force with an eye for goal when he was at Leamington and Accrington scouts have been at Harbury Lane for the last few home games eyeing another likely recruit, given how their investment in Bishop paid off.'

Charlton looked as if they might pose an early threat, but Accrington were soon on top.  The visitors were given too much room in central midfield.

The Addicks did win a succession of corners, but they were unproductive.   Baxter in the Accrington goal had to parry a shot from the lively Millar.   Baxter saved well from Forster-Caskey.

The first goal was Route One with a long goal kick not being dealt with by Pearce who got his header to Amos wrong.  It was then an easy finish for Bishop as excited Leamington fans tweeted 'He loves scoring in front of the Sky cameras.'

A Gilbey shot was blocked and a Forster-Caskey effort was over the bar.   It could be argued that the two sides were level in the first half.  As Richard Cawley noted, Charlton had one or two very good chances, but they had been easily cut open.

HT: 0-1

Aneke was brought on for Washington after the break, but this time the super sub had relatively little impact.  Morgan, who had picked up a yellow card, put in a good shot amid a crowd of players after great work by Maatsen, but the ball was deflected and a free kick followed.   Maatsen then had to deal with a threatening attack by Accrington at the expense of a corner.

Millar and Morgan were taken off for Maddison and Williams as Bowyer rang the changes.  But all hope of a Charlton revival largely ended when Bishop made it 2-0 with an easy finish after poor defending by Oshilaja who had also been at fault early in the first half.

Charlton were not able to win the ball enough and were not creating enough chances, although a good ball from Maddison won the Addicks a corner.   In desperation Bowyer took off Smyth and called Schwartz away from his bench warming duties.

A ball from Oshilaja caused defensive confusion, but Amos coped well.  An over eager Maatsen got a yellow card.

A further blow saw Maddison on the floor after he got his foot stuck in the turf.  He hobbled away and Purrington came on.   Asked if he was seriously injured, Bowyer replied: '"I don't know. I don't care. You've got a player who is jumping out of tackles and then he says he got a knock before that. If you do that again then you're done.'

In time added on a Forster-Caskey shot was palmed away and a Charlton corner was cleared off the line.

Charlton are now down to 7th, having been overtaken by Accrington Stanley.

Report from Louis Mendez:


  1. We're at home to Rochdale Tuesday. If Bowyer is still manager then and we lose again. He has to go.

  2. Oh no he doesn't.
    Well.. it IS Panto season.

  3. Well our team selection is certainly a pantomime.