Thursday 4 February 2021

Bowyer admits: my Maddison gamble didn't pay off

Besieged boss Lee Bowyer admits that he took a gamble with Marcus Maddison and it didn't pay off: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-demand-professionalism-charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-on-marcus-maddisons-bolton-loan/

For Bowyer's many critics, this will be grist to the mill.   When I had management responsibilities, I made some poor recruitment decisions, but I didn't face trial by social media.  I just had to live with the consequences.

I am by no means uncritical of Bowyer.   However, I do think that there is excessive short termism in football and managerial turnover has increased far too much. 

The evidence of managerial changes turning things round is rather weak and anecdotal.   At least you have to be careful what you wish for.   It is too easy to appoint a dinosaur like Sam Allardyce and hope for a miracle which doesn't come.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much in the Bowyer out camp, but I don't blame him for the failure with Maddison.
    He was a player who could change a game and he wasn't given a chance. However it seems the stories of his rebellious nature were true and we're probably better off without him disrupting an already poor squad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bowyer out camp? Really Daggs? I'm sure we had no idea :-)

    ReplyDelete