Tuesday 19 April 2022

There's only one Corey Blackett-Taylor

A leading moaner described the signing of Corey Blackett-Taylor as scraping the barrel, but he was the outstanding player for Charlton in their2-0 win at the Abbey Stadium tonight.   It was three away wins in a row and another clean sheet.   Charlton are now 13th,.

Fanewo had to block an early Cambridge counter attack after there had been a shout for handball in the home side's penalty area waved away by the referee.

After the counter attack, the home side were edging it in a scrappy game, but then Washington won a corner for Charlton.  The keeper caught the ball and the U's counter attacked, Clare defending.

Smith missed a chance, but the flag went up anyway.   No one was defending properly.

A threatening shot took a deflection off Clare for a corner.

Blackett-Taylor forged forward but his shot was saved by the keeper for a corner.   Pearce should have done better with his free header.

Clare had to concede a corner, taken quickly as a short one as Charlton switched off.  The U's should have done better.

Charlton had to concede a corner again after a Cambridge run that started with a Charlton goal kick.  The U's packed the six yard box, but Stockley cleared.

Dobson got a yellow card for a foul.  A U's long throw led to another corner for them.   Stockley headed away.

A Washington shot from a high ball which he controlled well was straight at the keeper.

Both sides had had chances, but it was hardly a feast of football.  We gave the ball away too easily.

Curbs said it was a very open game again.   It had been a little bit laboured, perhaps one game too many.

HT: 0-0

After the excitement of the half time ball in the skip competition, the lively Blackett-Taylor caused the U's some problems, but Stockley was disappointed by a Morgan corner.

Pearce had to defend as the U's counter attacked.  A shot by Gilbey was gathered by the keeper after Blackett-Taylor had worked well again.

Washington put in a good cross but Stockley's header was just wide.

Washington was booked for a foul.

Cambridge made two substitutions including danger man Ironside.

A shot by Washington was tipped over the bar by the keeper.  A well-worked move saw Gilbey put in a header which did not have enough power on it to trouble the keeper.

A shot by Blackett-Taylor was deflected and put Charlton 1-0 ahead on 73 minutes.

Macca spilled the ball and Pearce had to clear at the expense of a corner.   Chuks Aneke replaced Stockley.

After good work by Clare, Aneke put a shot in and it took a deflection off Washington to make it 2-0, although the Charlton commentators thought it was offside.

Blackett-Taylor was replaced by DJ.

The pundits

Curbs said that the first half was nondescript, but we got stronger and stronger.  We were more threatening second half.  Washington was a constant threat running in behind.

Conor Washington: 'The pitch was hard, fast and bobbly and the winding was swirling.  Two scrappy goals, but we hadn't scored enough of those.   It's been a really tough period, come off a lot of injuries, especially in the forward area, just getting up to speed again.   I want more goals, I've equalled last year now.'

No comments:

Post a Comment