Thursday 28 April 2022

We play them next year, Part 3 - Exeter City

Exeter City fans certainly enjoyed winning promotion to League One: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xET9C0qtc

The Grecians spent five years in what was then the Conference before returning to the Football League in 2008.   Since then they have mostly been in the fourth tier, spending three seasons in League One.

Manager Matt Taylor played two seasons for Charlton as a credible central defender.   Chris Powell made him vice-captain.

I do remember a FA Cup visit to The Valley by Exeter when Jonatan Johanssen scored with an outrageous bicycle kick.   The Grecians brought a lady dressed in Grecian robes with them which caused some excitement among older Addicks.

I lived in Exeter for two years, but I never went to St. James's Park.   This was in my early twenties and other attractions were available.  I had a reunion with many of my friends in Exeter in 2016.   One lives just a mile away from me and we will be joining her on Sunday lunchtime.

In 1969/71 Exeter was a rather sleepy provincial town with the Cathedral being a prominent part of the scene.  Indeed, I remember a procession of divines being invited for Sunday lunch by my flatmate (as he cooked an excellent lunch, that was fine and he was doing a PhD in Theology).

The arrival of the motorway transformed Exeter and it is now a much more vibrant place.  Even in those days rugby was strong and the Exeter Chiefs are a Premier League side.

If nothing else, and depending on when we play them, Exeter offers the chance of a good weekend away in south Devon.

How the Grecians will do remains to be seen, but Cheltenham Town surprised everyone this season.  My guess is that Exeter are more Cheltenham than Crewe.

No comments:

Post a Comment