Saturday 7 January 2023

Charlton battle for three points

Charlton beat Lincoln City 2-1 at The Valley this afternoon in difficult conditions.   The Addicks are now 12th in the table.

Lincoln started on the front foot with some long throw ins, but the shots were blocked, the first from Dobson who may not have known much about it.  

Inniss had to make a superb block in play following a Lincoln free kick.   Clare had to block a shot.  Charlton weathered the initial storm.

It was a tight first twenty minutes.   Conditions were not good with heavy rain and a swirling wind, but it became a first half of two halves.

Walsh got a yellow card for an off the ball foul on Leaburn.

Steve Brown was surprised at how direct Lincoln were.

Blackett-Taylor fed Fraser who put in a cross across the face of goal.  It just needed someone to tap in at the far post.

Rak-Sakyi fed Fraser at the far post, but he headed wide.   Lincoln were struggling to clear their lines.

A good cross from Leaburn saw Fraser arriving at the far post, his header took a slight deflection to make it 1-0.

Charlton went from back to front with great movement and nice play from Dobson. A pass from Fraser allowed Blackett-Taylor to score a great goal with his left foot and make it 2-0.  

HT: Addicks 2, Imps 0

Lincoln made a substitution after the break with Diamond taken off.  

Charlton had a chance for a third but Leaburn was unable to convert with a tap in.  Rushworth made a decent save for Lincoln.

Steve Brown thought that halfway through the half our concentration levels were dropping a little.

Rak-Sakyi was denied by Rushworth who made a quality save.

Charlton made a substitution with Morgan replaced by Payne.  Lincoln put in a shot.

Ness did well to deal with a Lincoln break following a Charlton free kick.

A Dobson block saw the ball go back to a Lincoln player who blasted it into the net to make it 2-1.

A Leaburn header went straight to the keeper.   This happened again.   Rak-Sakyi came off and Kirk came on.

O'Connell and Stockley came on.   Leaburn came off as did Blackett-Taylor.  Seven minutes of added time.  Conditions were very difficult.  Lincoln had a chance to score. A further two minutes were added on, but finally the referee blew the whistle.

Possession was 60-40 in Charlton's favour, seven shots on target to two.  Yellow cards for Sessegnon, Payne and Dobson.

The pundits

Curbs said it was disappointing the number of times we got in the final third in the second half and didn't convert.  Barnsley at home would be a massive game.

Dean Holden's post match comments are here:

Louis Mendez finds a number of positives from the performance:

No comments:

Post a Comment