Saturday 14 January 2023

Clean sheet win

Charlton made it three straight victories with a 2-0 win over Barnsley at The Valley this afternoon.  There were five Academy graduates on the pitch.

Sean Clare replaced Sessegnon who was injured in the warm up and Kane had to switch to left back.  Kane had to concede the first corner of the afternoon.  A second followed.  

Barnsley won a third corner as they tried for an early goal. A free header was put wide.

The masked Maynard-Brewer made a great save as Barnsley threatened in the penalty area.  Charlton needed to slow the match down.

Kane provided Rak-Sakyi with a great ball, his first touch was good, but not his second in front of an open goal. 

Leaburn tried to feed Campbell, but he couldn't get the ball under control.

A strike went straight into the safe hands of Maynard-Brewer.   Charlton had not yet settled as a defensive unit.   Barnsley were trying to close down Dobson at every opportunity.   

Payne showed technical ability in playing Campbell down the left who drilled the ball home on 20 minutes to make it 1-0, his first senior goal.

A Barnsley shot was goal bound, but Maynard-Brewer managed to get to it.   Benson was injured and had to be substituted.

Kane had to make a good defensive header at the expense of a corner, followed by a second.

Kitchen got a yellow card for a foul on Leaburn.  

Three minutes were added on.  Kane went down.  Barnsley hit the bar with a header, nearly leading to an equaliser.   The cross came from where Kane was down with what looked like a muscle injury.  Kane walked off in a blow for Charlton and O'Connell came on.  Campbell would have to do a lot of defending in the second half as the Addicks switched to a back three.

It had been scrappy at times with the playing surface affected by the morning's heavy rain.   Miles Leaburn was angry about a possible elbow off the ball.   Steve Brown said the correct thing to do was not to react.   Scott Minto said he need to channel his anger.  He had two centre halves all over him.

Steve Brown said that Barnsley had had a good half with two shots hitting the bar.   Charlton had been resilient.  The external commentator said that Charlton had won the battle in both boxes.  

HT: Addicks 1, Tykes 0

The wind was swirling round The Valley.   Charlton had to defend in the opening minutes.  They needed to be tidier in possession.

Maynard-Brewer had to provide quality goal keeping.  

A shot hit Clare and went out for a corner.   Charlton were stretched.   Leaburn headed the corner away.

Fresh legs were needed.  Henry and Bonne came on, Leaburn and Payne came off.

Rak-Sakyi scored from a Bonne assist to make it 2-0 on 61 minutes.   Henry set Bonne away and his low shot was tipped on to the post by the keeper.  The second goal knocked the stuffing out of Barnsley.

O'Connell headed away a corner and Henry volleyed it away.   Barnsley made a triple change, taking off their two strikers.

Maynard-Brewer punched away a cross.

Campbell put in a good cross but Inniss put the ball wide.  It could have been 3-0.

Ness made a good block, showing good awareness to get into position.

Henry put in a great free kick, Inniss made a run but the keeper grabbed it at the second attempt.

Barnsley won a corner.  Inniss got something on it.  

Inniss and Norwood were booked for pushing and shoving.   Blackett-Taylor replaced Campbell.

Clare got a shot away but it went wide.  Inniss got a final clearance away as Barnsley advanced.  The effort levels from a defensive point of view were good.

Martin made two efforts following a free kick but they were blocked by the Addicks defence.

Four minutes were added on.  Maynard-Brewer had to make a good save.   Ness blocked a shot.  Blackett-Taylor won a free kick.  

Charlton were the better team in the second half.

The pundits

Scott Minto said that Dean Holden had changed things around in a short time for the Addicks.  Charlton looked as if they had a bit of backbone which they didn't have earlier in the season.   Steve Brown said that our covering positions in defence were better.  There was resilience there.   Steve Brown said that Lucas Ness saw things early.   Maynard-Brewer and Ness were performing consistently every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment