Saturday 28 January 2023

Charlton go behind twice

For the second season in a row Bolton did the double over Charlton.   Charlie Methven watched on as defensive failings cost Charlton.   The Addicks remain 15th.

An early Bolton free kick after three and a half minutes came in off the post into the top corner to put the visitors 1-0 ahead through Morley.

Charlton won a corner through Blackett-Taylor, but it was unproductive.

After Charlton lost possession through debutante Penney, Bolton advanced.  Maynard-Brewer made a good save, getting the ball on to the crossbar.

Bolton were targeting Charlton's right.  

Penney won a corner, but it was cleared away.  

Charlton had a free kick a couple of yards outside the penalty area on the right.   Rak-Sakyi's header did not have enough pace to trouble the keeper who saved.

Fraser won the ball back well but the keeper saved before Rak-Sakyi could pounce.  

Rak-Sakyi advanced but the keeper got enough on the shot to put it just past the right hand post. 

There was a delay after Johnston went down, but he did not need to be substituted initially, but was replaced at half time.   A shot from Dempsey was inches wide of the Charlton right hand post.

A shot by Charles was saved by Maynard-Brewer.   

Fraser had to tackle Bradley at the expense of a corner.   There were two great blocks, the first from Ness, the second from Dobson.  There were three scrambles in the penalty area, but Charlton survived.

Four minutes were added on.  Rak-Sakyi went down with a knock to his face.  It had been an end to end half.

Scott Minto said that Bolton had been the better side.  Curbs said they were dangerous and competitive and he was glad we were only one behind.   Steve Brown said they had a very resolute defence that were hard to break down.  We knew they were going to be a hard nut to crack.  Curbs said that Maynard-Brewer had made two outstanding saves.

HT: Addicks 0, Trotters 1

In the first minute of the second half Charlton equalised through Morgan after excellent build up play involving Clare, Fraser and Bonne.   Morgan played a one-two on the edge of the box with Rak-Sakyi. The shot went straight through Trafford in the Bolton goal.

Ness made a great interception.   

A shot from Morley was tipped over the bar by Maynard-Brewer.   From the corner Santos put his header wide in front of the Jimmy Seed.   Bolton had to make a substitution.  

A Morgan free kick was tipped round the post by Trafford.   Charlton kept up the pressure, but Rak-Sakyi was not able to get enough on it to score.

Blackett-Taylor was taken off and replaced by Campbell.

An Inniss header dropped for Dempsey. Charles had a simple tap in after being fed by Dempsey to make it 1-2 after 23 minutes of the second half.

Lee made a bad challenge on Morgan and got a yellow card.    A shot from Lee was over the bar after Bradley made a run.  Bolton looked a real threat in the final third,

Leaburn came on for Clare with Bolton in the ascendant.

Charlton made a double change in a last throw of the dice.  Dobson and Morgan came off, Payne and Henry came on.

A Leaburn shot was deflected for a corner, but Ness couldn't get the right contact.   Six minutes were added on.  

Charlton won another corner taken by Henry, but it was unproductive.   An attempt by Penney went into the back of the Covered End.   Inniss rescued a dangerous situation.  

Ness blocked a ball from Dempsey.  

Bolton had 24 shots to 12, eight to five on target.

The pundits

Curbs said that Bolton had caused us a load of problems today and deserved their victory.  Steve Brown said they were a very good side.  Curbs said they were competitive and strong, the midfield dominated us in the first half.  It could have been three or four but for Maynard-Brewer.   Steve Brown said he liked the response in the first half, we came out on the front foot.  There was a fight in the team which we might have questioned earlier in the season.

Curbs said we did well to stay in the game after the early Bolton goal.

The pundits said it was difficult to pick a Charlton man of the match.   There were three candidates, but they had all made mistakes.  Steve Brown said that Maynard-Brewer had kept us in the game in the first half.

Curbs said that Bonne had found it tough particularly dealing with Santos, described by Steve Brown as a 'brute'.   


No comments:

Post a Comment