Saturday 19 December 2020

From Bartram to Amos

Ben Amos has been Charlton's most consistent performer in my view this year and he could be in line for his first promotion with the Addicks: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/ben-amos-happy-at-change-of-fortunes-at-charlton-athletic-and-reveals-how-trying-to-play-through-finger-injury-ended-up-backfiring/

Sam Bartram my number one childhood hero and ever since I have been interested in goalkeepers.  Bartram's play was a bit eccentric by the standards of his day which is perhaps one reason why he never broke through into international football, although a Portsmouth fan of my acquaintance dismissed him as a 'showman'.

Ever since I have taken a special interest in Charlton's keepers.  My favourite of modern times was Dean Kiely.  His parents lived just down the road from me.   I bumped into him once at Leamington FC and introduced myself as a Charlton fan and he couldn't have been more courteous.

Actually, former Leamington keeper and barmy binman Tony Breeden was also someone I saw as being in the Bartram mould.   Not only a penalty taker (I saw him score against Wolves at Molineux), he also managed to score with free kicks and goal kicks.   Unfortunately, he blotted his copybook by breaking the nose of the captain in training.   Now playing for Nuneaton, he was sent off the other week.

The hallmark of Ben Amos's play is that of the thorough competent professional, but one who also makes some superb saves.   He is a free agent in June but he hasn't made any decisions about his future.   I think if we got promoted he would stay with the right offer which we are now capable of providing.

He also has confidence in the team in front of him.  He told Richard Cawley: 'With the squad we’ve got and strength in depth, we all know we’ve got the ability in the team to do it,” I wouldn’t say there is a feeling of pressure, it’s just what we expect of ourselves and the standards we set. We’ve blown a bit hot and cold at times after that consistent streak where we won six on the bounce. Hopefully we’ll go on another run now.'

No comments:

Post a Comment