Monday 8 October 2018

Deptford is a cool hood?

This morning someone called round to quote for some work on my garden. Somehow it came out that I was originally from London. The garden guy said that he could not stand it down there: the noise; the traffic; the people. But that's why I like living on a main road. And any excuse I am on the train to London, usually two or three times a week.

It's been a bit of a challenge get my head round the fact that Shoreditch is the home of hipsters. But it was an even bigger challenge to read in the Sunday Times that 'Deptford is poised to be crowned the new Brixton/Hackney/Peckham.' Actually, I'm not really used to Peckham.

However, apparently 'the cool kids need somewhere with a sharper edge' and Deptford fits the bill, although it is admitted that 'the southeast London neighbourhood is scruffy, polluted, crowded and plagued by traffic and crime.' Moreover, 'the high street largely remains old school: there's a Cockneyesque street market three times a week, a Victorian pie-and-mash shop and a cobbler.' What more could you want?

What isn't mentioned is that the New Den is close by, giving a certain 'Je ne sais quoi' to the urban vibe.

Mind you, I can talk. Before Charlton games I am now going to drink craft beers dispensed by a Charlton supporter in a former lingerie shop in what is euphemistically called 'East Greenwich'.

No comments:

Post a Comment