Tuesday 2 October 2018

Goals galore at Scunny

Charlton have not won at Scunthorpe for 45 years and they went down 5-3 tonight, ending their undefeated run. For Scunthorpe it was an unbeaten run of seven matches.

A goal in time added on finally paid to Charlton's hopes of getting something from the match. Dijksteel was brought down in the area late on and the Charlton bench was furious when nothing was given.

Louis Mendez of the SLP said that the first half was 'one of the most open games I have ever seen.'

3,341 present, but it is not known how many of them were Addickted.

Charlton have now fallen out of the play off places to 8th, one point ahead of Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe drew first blood in the third minute when centre-back Charlie Goode applied the simplest of touches to steer the ball home from a corner.

Lewis Page picked up an injury after three minutes and Lee Bowyer has said that it's not looking good: Page injury

Dijksteel replaced Page. The home side broke from a Charlton corner, but their shot was blocked.

On 10 minutes Taylor was inches wide with a header. But then he redeemed himself.

Former Iron striker Taylor nodded in an equaliser and then set up the second for Joe Aribo as the Addicks notched twice in four minutes to turn the contest on its head.

Darren Pratley picked up his fifth yellow card of the season, earning himself a suspension. In the middle of all the mayhem, striker Chris Solly nearly scored with a volley.

Charlton always find it hard to hold on to a lead. Just when the Addicks looked to be in the ascendancy, on-loan Manchester United full-back Cameron Borthwick-Jackson rattled in his first senior goal, making use of a corner played back to him and catching out Jed Steer from 20 yards to make it all square again.

And he did not have to wait long for his second, finishing coolly this time from inside the penalty area eight minutes later after exchanging passes with Humphrys.

On 34 minutes Karlan Grant could have passed to the unmarked Aribo for a goal, but he tried the shot himself and it was saved.

On 38 minutes Taylor gave the ball away in the Charlton half and the improbably named Borthwick-Jackson scored again to make it 3-2. Mind you I suppose that his name is no more ridiculous than that of former Leamington striker Courtney Baker-Richardson who scored his first Championship goal for Swansea at the weekend (too expensive for Charlton at £10k).

On 52 minutes Reeves replaced Pratley. On 65 minutes the ball came off the inside of the post from Fosu. Aribo then made it 3-3 but two minutes later Scunthorpe scored from the spot after a handball by Pearce. Morris then made it 4-3 on 72 minutes. Lee Bowyer pulled off substitute Dijksteel on 81 minutes in the hope that Vetokele could conjure something up. He couldn't and in the six minutes added on the home side got their fifth.

Lee Bowyer said after the game: 'We'll have to sort it out. It's not acceptable. Conceding how many goals? Seven in the last two games. Scoring five away from home and not winning...it's not good enough.'

Bowyer is one of four nominees for League One manager of the month, but probably the award will go to John Coleman.

Some fans are blaming Jed Steer and Naby Sarr. Nothing I heard suggested that Steer was particularly at fault other than for one goal and he made one excellent save. I suspect it's the old story of people favouring Dillon Phillips because he's a Charlton product.

Sarr can be very good and he can be very bad. He did provide the assist for Taylor's goal. What it all comes down to is that we have a thin squad which can't deal with much in the way of injuries (or suspensions, now they are starting).

Full report from Louis Mendez who had to stay overnight in a S****horpe hotel. I've done that and it's not pretty (although I did like the text a woman friend sent me): Remarkable goal fest

No comments:

Post a Comment