Tuesday 23 October 2018

Failure to get second goal holds back Charlton

Charlton drew 1-1 with Oxford United at The Valley tonight. A Lyle Taylor penalty put them ahead on 23 minutes, but they then had a number of good chances to go 2-0 ahead, but failed to seize them.

Oxford came into the game more in the second half and eventually equalised. Eastwood was not really tested in the second half. The physical tactics of the visitors and their constant fouls did not give Charlton much chance to play football. The Addicks have now slipped back to 11th in League One.

It was a scrappy start to the game with Charlton not looking very fluent or fluid. The lively Aribo broke away, but took too long and was denied by a tackle.

Reeves got past the keeper and accepted Eastwood's challenge. The referee awarded a penalty which was very well taken down the centre by Taylor to make it 1-0.

Charlton had three good chances after the goal. Aribo headed wide from a corner. Then Grant crossed for Aribo, but he scuffed his shot from ten yards out. It should have been 2-0.

Reeves put in a great block on 40 minutes after Oxford broke.

On 50 minutes Steer had to dive to the left to save from Browne. Fosu got a yellow card for kicking the ball away.

Dickie held down Taylor on the edge of the box. The free kick from Reeves was over the bar. Dickie, the charm merchant from the dreaming spires, then hauled Taylor back again, but did not receive a second yellow card. However, he was substituted almost immediately and was taken down the tunnel by a member of Oxford staff. He was not a happy bunny and was serenaded with 'He's going to cry in a minute' by the Covered End.

On 70 minutes Cullen and Holmes collided, allowing Whyte the space to score. The Northern Ireland international had not been on long as a substitute. Karl Robinson did not celebrate with gusto. On 74 minutes Reeves was not far wide but was replaced by Ward.

On 78 minutes Solly put in a superb sliding tackle as Oxford broke. The five minutes added on received one of the biggest cheers of the night, but Charlton were not able to make any use of them.

Ricky Holmes started for Oxford, having overcome his bad back. He showed flashes of his skill and when he was substituted in time added on there was more applause from the Charlton sides of the ground (mixed with some boos) than from the visitors.

Official attendance was 9,984 with 538 supporting the U's.

No comments:

Post a Comment