Thursday 30 May 2019

I feel glad all over

I have just come across my horoscope from Sunday which said: 'The events today and over the next week will be brilliant, but they could throw you off balance. The remedy? Take a deep breath and try to enjoy them.'

One of my pleasures in leaving League One is a number of teams we will not have to play next season. Here is my top ten:

  • 1. Accrington Stanley, the dirtiest team I have seen for many years and prize whingers. Shame as they are a well run club.
  • 2. Doncaster Rovers Sour losers. My Charlton friend in Doncaster had a series of messages on the lines of 'We will enjoy seeing Sunderland beat you.' but expressed more vigorously.
  • 3. Gillingham A humiliation having to play them in the so-called Kent derby. Their 'temporary' stand is a disgrace and we can do without their caravans clogging up the roads.
  • 4. AFC Wimbledon Playing in a non-league ground. Well up themselves. Can't get over the franchise issue after all these years.
  • 5. Fleetwood Town Bumped up non-league team. Congratulations to those away fans who went there.
  • 6. Oxford United Gobby. Three sided ground.
  • 7. Wycombe Wanderers. Should be an easy away game for me, but ground is up a dead end road a long way from the station.
  • 8. Shrewsbury Town. Rural team with weird supporters.
  • 9. Portsmouth Unpleasant supporters, strange city.
  • 10. Bristol Rovers Another odd ground. Gasheads an appropriate name for their supporters.

I was going to include Coventry City, but after a gap of several years following their 5-0 defeat in the Mayoral Cup, they have agreed to play Leamington again to open the season on July 6th (!) Hospitality packages available if you have a few hundred quid to spare.

Tomorrow I will look at the clubs I am looking forward to playing in the Championship.

2 comments:

  1. Steady on. 'Glad all over'! I don't think you can be feeling quite yourself. Like you I first visited The Valley with my father in 1953 and one thing that heartened me at Wembley was the rousing full version of The Red Red Robin played and sung after the game - the most enthusiastic for many a long year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great rendition of the Red, Red Robin.

    ReplyDelete