Wednesday 8 May 2019

What I do know about Donny?

An Addick I have known for many years lives and works in Doncaster (for a well-known supermarket), and I have been helping him to get a ticket in the Charlton end for Sunday. It led me to think about what I know about Doncaster.

When I am travelling towards York, the train always gets held up interminably outside Doncaster. When I change trains there for Hull, it is either pouring with rain or blowing a howling wind. Not all the users of the station seem prepossessing. I recall seeing two horizontally challenged ladies of a certain age clutching copies of Fifty Shades of Grey.

Then the penny dropped. I know the MP for Doncaster North. I sit on a committee with him and I will be seeing him between the two games. I have sat next to him at dinner and we have chatted about our families: I knew his dad and at a dinner when the 2017 Parliament convened, he began his remarks 'Wyn's granddaughter ...' We have never discussed football.

I wouldn't have thought his was a footballing household when he was young. So I looked online and it turns out that he is a self-confessed nerd who likes baseball and American football, He saw himself at one time as a Leeds supporter (his father worked there), but abandoned that affiliation when he became a MP for Doncaster.

I had better not mention Charlton next Wednesday. I have already been told by Radio Scilly where I am mainland football correspondent that listeners don't want to hear about Charlton in my Saturday slot as there are no supporters there and would I please focus on Argyle, Truro City, Torquay United and Exeter City, possibly the Bristol clubs.

There are also a few Manchester City supporters. If you live on an island with a two team football league, often cut off from the mainland by fog or gales, does supporting a Manchester club make you a plastic?

I know quite a few Spurs fans, two of them originally lived in Haringey. I was also pleased to meet some of their fans involved in important community work at a reception opened by the Mayor of Haringey early in the season. Chris Powell is a fan, so congratulations to Tottenham Hotspur.

No comments:

Post a Comment